AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, computer, cable box and DVD (will probably take out of the loop since it's pretty redundant considering the PS3, and 360), right now it's mayhem. I have the 360 and cable box hooked up to the TV with R/B/G cable, the computer, and PS3 connected to a Monoprice.com HDMI switch which is hooked into the TV, the Wii is going straight into the TV and the 360, PS3, cable box, and HTPC all have optical outs to the receiver. Ideally I would like to get everything that can be connected to the receiver and pass through all video to the TV, and handle the sound through HDMI for whatever can, I think my video card (HD4350) will pass through sound on the ATi dongle, not sure, if I have to go optical for the sound so be it.

So I guess I am looking for a receiver that has at least three HDMI inputs, can pass through video to the TV, with all sound stopping at the receiver, and can drive some Klipsch RF3-II's, a matching center, rears, and a sub, and the fun part ...on an extreme budget, like under $300. I don't need to be able to blow the roof off my house, just organize, centralize, and make the hell that is my AV closet a little less cluttered.

discuss ...

·
Registered
663 Posts
I know you can get the Onkyo 507 in that price range and it has 4 HDMI inputs.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Onkyo is one of my top choices, them or Yamaha. One thing I am curious about is, now that I have a PS3 which can handle HD audio, being that the 507 is a 5.1, is the difference between the core audio tracks, and the HD audio that distinguishable? I have, I believe, decent enough speakers for it, but I thought the major difference between the core, and HD tracks was heard in a 7.1 environment.

My main problem that spawned this need is that all my HDMI devices pass through a switch, and the switch doesn't like the PS3 ...at all, as well as wanting to clean everything up, and minimize the cables used and in the process get the best sound and video possible. I need to justify spending the money though, and I can get a newer model switch that works with the PS3, or even just a component cable and run yet another optical to my receiver, but $24.99 > $66 > $319 (at Newegg) (haha, isn't that backwards). Do the older Onkyo's have any resale value? I've got an couple generations old 600 series now, from right before HDMI was available.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
No! The difference is not 5.1 or 7.1, but that non-HD audio is lossy and HD audio is lossless. Even so, it is doubtful that you will be able to tell the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pilot /forum/post/18235851

Onkyo is one of my top choices, them or Yamaha. One thing I am curious about is, now that I have a PS3 which can handle HD audio, being that the 507 is a 5.1, is the difference between the core audio tracks, and the HD audio that distinguishable? I have, I believe, decent enough speakers for it, but I thought the major difference between the core, and HD tracks was heard in a 7.1 environment.

My main problem that spawned this need is that all my HDMI devices pass through a switch, and the switch doesn't like the PS3 ...at all, as well as wanting to clean everything up, and minimize the cables used and in the process get the best sound and video possible. I need to justify spending the money though, and I can get a newer model switch that works with the PS3, or even just a component cable and run yet another optical to my receiver, but $24.99 > $66 > $319 (at Newegg) (haha, isn't that backwards). Do the older Onkyo's have any resale value? I've got an couple generations old 600 series now, from right before HDMI was available.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs /forum/post/18235882

No! The difference is not 5.1 or 7.1, but that non-HD audio is lossy and HD audio is lossless. Even so, it is doubtful that you will be able to tell the difference.

Right, that's kind of what I thought. I've heard both stories, that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and something along the lines of "oh, that was HD?". Ok, so that's not a convincing enough reason. I guess I just need to decide if cleaning up the AV closet is worth the money.

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
Well, I surely wouldn't say that TrueHD or DTS HD MA is better than sliced bread, but it IS a noticeable difference from DD or DTS standard, hands down. ANyone that tells you there is no difference has no clue as to what they are listening to or just don't care.

I'm not saying that DD & DTS doesn't sound good, but I am saying that lossless sounds better.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/18236271

Well, I surely wouldn't say that TrueHD or DTS HD MA is better than sliced bread, but it IS a noticeable difference from DD or DTS standard, hands down. ANyone that tells you there is no difference has no clue as to what they are listening to or just don't care.

I'm not saying that DD & DTS doesn't sound good, but I am saying that lossless sounds better.

Note that HD audio can also be lossy..

Including DTS HD and Dolby Digital +..

Just my $0.01..

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/18236271

I can't comment from personal experience, I've never had a system that could play HD codecs, nor have I had the opportunity to compare one to the other on the systems I have heard.

My receiver (Onkyo TX-SR600) only has two of the component inputs and one out and only three optical inputs. I did find a Philmore remote controlled A/V switch that has three of each, so I could have hte devices go into that, optical and all, and then only have to use one input on my AVR. Hmmmm that might be the solution.

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
The only problem with component only, is that DVD won't upconvert over component. But in all honesty, the TV itself has the final say no matter what or how a signal is input to it, as it will display the source in its native resolution.

If you have multichannel input (all my Onkyos did, including my last one, a TX-DS595 that my Denon replaced) and your BD player has multi channel outputs, then you can get the HD audio by having the player do the decoding. But the PS3 I don't believe has that capability so it is really a moot point I guess. But with everything being HDMI now, I have begun seeing component outputs being omitted from modern equipment.

If the audio doesn't bother you then by all means continue using what you have. For me, audio is VERY important and just like the PQ, I want the best AQ I can get (afford
) so I really need the HDMI capabilities, and as cheap as it has gotten, no real reason not to get one of the newer receivers and sell the old to help cut the cost (that's what I did with my TX-DS595, sold it on Amazon.com) of the new, improved, and hopefully future proofed equipment.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right now I am waiting to hear back about a Denon AVR-1909, last years version of the AVR-1910, it fits the bill and then some. The rep at the shop has to check into if they have one available, maybe a demo/floor model that combined with being last years can bring the price down to my level, if not hopefully below

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
Yes, the 1909 is the same model as my 789 (same features, but a different model #) and you would do well to be able to get it. But $300 is kinda pushing it. If you can get it for 350 shipped, that would be an excellent deal. Good luck.

·
Registered
29,191 Posts
you can get the Denon 1610 for $300 and $1910 for $400. The 1610 looks like it would do what you need since it has 3 HDMI and 2 component inputs.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/18238269

Yes, the 1909 is the same model as my 789 (same features, but a different model #) and you would do well to be able to get it. But $300 is kinda pushing it. If you can get it for 350 shipped, that would be an excellent deal. Good luck.

I believe he said it was a trade in, or a demo, and I he sounded like he could pretty confidently hit my ballpark, but I'll find out tomorrow for sure I guess. The 507 is only $319 shipped from Newegg, so that's still a player at this point.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So he couldn't get the guy to give up his 1909
He was trying to get a customer to upgrade to this years model, but they guy liked his too much, I don't think I blame him. Found a floor model Yamaha RX-V465 at Best Buy but it was only 249.99 + tax, even wound up getting the right remote for it :p. But I must say, this AVR has everything I need, and really nothing I don't, which was a problem looking for AVRs. Got the PS3, 360, Wii, and computer all connected and running much easier than before without having to unplug a single cable to plug something else in. I like it.

If someone needs 4 HDMI in, TrueHD/DTS-HD MA, at an inexpensive cost, this is a good receiver to look into.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts