AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the very favorable review in bigpicture.com I have found very little info on this unit. If anyone is aware of any other reviews, or owns this model, I would certainly appreciate their input.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I have one of these and I and a few others have posted various comments and observations here and at the Big Picture forum. If you do a search using "PLV-60" in the last thirty days at both forums, you'll get quite a lot of info. Then, if you have specific questions that are not answered or discussed in the previous threads, post these questions and I and others will try to answer them. This will be easier that just re-posting what has been said already. Or if you have a real specific question, you can email me, although this unit is new enough that probably several others will be interested in any question you have.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
wbk,

This is a great projector, and if it wasn't for the one "graininess" flaw, it would have easily creamed all other projectors here at Infocomm as far as image quality. It beat even DLP projectors that cost 2x as much. It was very good, and the graininess may be something that can be corrected.

In fact, it might not even be that noticable unless it was sitting right next to two other projectors that had smoother skin tones.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is my understanding that the "graininess" that Milori observed can be cured by the Stewart Greyhawk screen. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm anxiously awaiting my GrayHawk to see if it makes a difference vs a semi-textured white wall. If the screen door is black, though, won't a gray screen make it blacker in comparison?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Having spent some time viewing this projector, I don't believe that the graininess is a screen door problem. It appears to be a scaler problem. For a very good explanation of this read Piney's post at http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006629.html.

If Piney is right, and I think he is, neither a grey screen, nor IMX will "cure" this problem. An external scaler is the only cure. From my recollection, the projector scales 1080I (HDTV) very well - smooth picture, and 480P or I (DVD) quite poorly - grainy picture.

I'm curious which source Millori saw at the convention.

I must agree with Millori that except for this issue,the projector smokes.

Pip

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use this projector with IscanPro and it looked much better than 480p DVD. So I agree that it's not screen door. However I returned the unit because I saw a lot of pixel artifacts while watching movies that my 10HT did not have. I will wait and see if the product can be fixed or something better comes along.

Anthony

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a PLV-60 and am trying to hook up a HTPC. Having some trouble driving, the whole 1366x768 panel, but am making some progress with the help of a user named Maxime on The Big Picture DVD Forum. Stay tuned to the following thread:
http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/dcfo...mID53/49.shtml

My thread on this topic at AVS has flatlined:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/011350.html

I'm far from an expert on projectors, but I'm really enjoying my PLV-60 with a 480i DVD player -- can't wait to see it with a HTPC!

-Mike

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.