AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got the cheap Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer can this be connected using a 3.5mm to rca adapter and digital audio cable to the tv has any one here done this or know someone who has maybe u know a video online that shows this kinda setup working ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
When you use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter it'll give you two female RCA on the computer. So you just get an RCA red/white cable with male on both end. Plug the red into red and white into white into your computer, and the other end into your TV/Receiver.

Have you tried setting it up and had a problem with it, or some specific question we can help with?

Are you trying to get 5.1 surround sound? What are you playing movies? Music?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
If your sound receiver has toslink optical then you can use a 3.5mm toslink adapter to get optical output from your sound card. Creative not too long ago released driver support (costs $5 to download) for live Dolby Digital and DTS encoding -meaning a game with 6 channel audio would be converted to DD or DTS for your receiver. Audio encoded in DD or DTS already, such as a dvd, would work without this driver.

·
Banned
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya but im talking bout the flexi jack stuff i tried connecting it using that the 3.5mm to rca mono adapter and a digital audio cable to the tv and no sound goes thru the sound card cant see the connection

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
RCA mono? Are you talking about a digital coaxial connection? The digital out of this soundcard does not support coaxial. It has to be mini-toslink. You also have to go to the creative control center and turn on the digital output option.

In addition your TV probably doesn't support receiving a digital audio signal from your computer. For instance, if you are using DVI to HDMI, the TV expects to receive audio from the HDMI and will not offer another digital audio input for the HDMI inputs. Some TVs will have a standard RCA left/right link to the HDMI1, such as my Samsung. And if you use VGA, most TVs will only have an 8mm left/right audio.

If you actually have use for digital audio from the computer, then you'd have a receiver that supports DD or DTS and you would run the mini-toslink to toslink on the receiver and skip the TV audio.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/15480150

If your sound receiver has toslink optical then you can use a 3.5mm toslink adapter to get optical output from your sound card. Creative not too long ago released driver support (costs $5 to download) for live Dolby Digital and DTS encoding -meaning a game with 6 channel audio would be converted to DD or DTS for your receiver. Audio encoded in DD or DTS already, such as a dvd, would work without this driver.

This might be a good way to go too, i'm pretty sure that card can do optical out of the flexijack, but i'm not positive. I have an extra cable around here from a failed attempt using with my Xfi Xtreme Audio card.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daye /forum/post/15480615

ya but im talking bout the flexi jack stuff i tried connecting it using that the 3.5mm to rca mono adapter and a digital audio cable to the tv and no sound goes thru the sound card cant see the connection

Make sure you go into the Creative Console and configure the flexijack to output digital. It has two modes, microphone and digital output. I don't think it's set to digital output by default.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
The XtremeGamer flexijack port only supports mini-toslink optical. It will not work with coaxial. For coaxial support you need a sound card that supports the Digital I/O module, which this card does not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts