AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a DISH 6000 DBS receiver with the OTR cartridge and am basking in new high definition brilliance. However, the cartridge has a somewhat noisy fan that runs ALL the time, even when the receiver is powered down. The DISH tech I called about it said that's because the receiver runs at about the same temperature whether it's "on" or not. Putting aside the fact that that just doesn't make any sense, it's also a power waster, not to mention the thing will certainly wear out faster, and thus get noisier when the bearings start to go, if it doesn't stop once in a while.

So, the only way to get the fan to stop running is to unplug the receiver. Radio Shack carries a gadget called "Plug 'n Power" that would allow me to plug the receiver into it and turn it off that way, (the equivalent of pulling the plug). However, it's an RF device. I need a similar device that works on IR codes so I can program it into my MX-1000 universal remote control, which only works with IR codes. Surely someone out there makes such an device! Anyone know of one and where I could get it?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just a couple comments. The bearings will not last longer if they "stop once in awhile". Acually, bearings last longer if they run all the time, stoping and starting puts wear and tear on them. The other issue is software updates. The Dish 6000 only downloads software updates if the reciever is off (but still plugged in). If you use plug and power or another system, you will never get updates unless you leave it on once in awhile. Now the last comment. Plug and power modules can be controlled with IR, but you need a special adapter. It is a small black box that recieves IR signals and then passes on RF signals to the plug and power modules. Plug and power is Radio Shacks name for X10. Try 10.com to see if you can find it, I think All for one had an old IR universal remote that came with or could be ordered separately this adapter I am talking about. Not sure. I hope this helps...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.