AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am interested in buying the new Sammy TXM3097 hdtv widescreen direct view. See plenty of posts on the 3096 but little first hand experience with the 3097 (or 3098 which is same set with upgraded case & audio). Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
226 Posts
the 3097 is the exact same set as the 3096, with a second tuner for PiP and 3:2 pulldown. After a good deal of tinkering in the service menu, mine looks phenominal.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt DeVillier
the 3097 is the exact same set as the 3096, with a second tuner for PiP and 3:2 pulldown. After a good deal of tinkering in the service menu, mine looks phenominal.
Matt,

I'm glad to hear that your set is looking good. That gives me some hope. ;) I wonder if you happened to see my recent thread about my 3096:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=193520

I'm starting to adjust to and accept the shadow mask visibility issue. I eventually realized its about 10x more visible when you turn your head parallel to the ground (i.e., when you're lying down on your side and watching), so that means less DVD watching as I'm falling asleep. Probably a "good thing" (Martha Stewart style) anyway. Still, I'm noticing the lack of focus towards the edges of the screen, which is visible from any perspective.

Since you sound quite happy with the picture you're getting, I'm curious if at any point (either before or after your service menu tweaks) you were seeing this softness at the edges?

Also, I know 90% of the adjustments will be unit-specific to correct geometry and color balance, but if you have any general suggestions for service menu settings, I'd appreciate your advice. :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by isoflavone7
Am interested in buying the new Sammy TXM3097 hdtv widescreen direct view. See plenty of posts on the 3096 but little first hand experience with the 3097 (or 3098 which is same set with upgraded case & audio). Thanks in advance for any replies.
I've had the 3097WHF 16:9 since August--and I'm very happy with the set I have now....but getting to this point was a long and slightly painful experience.

I got my first set in late July from Sears.

Beautiful picture geometry and well converged from the factory. And after doing the regular tweaks to picture/brightness and sharpness using nothing more than the THX optimizer that comes with Toy Story 2 I was very happy with the set. [North by Northwest on DVD is a showcase disc for this set.]

However--there was one fatal flaw---I noticed that there was some kind of discoloration on the top left corner in the exact shape of the sticker they had put on face of tube to advertise it's features. Only visible during bright scenes like the sky--No amount of windex would clean it off. Apparently the glue on sticker was strong enough to contaminate/or damage the glass tint!

Anyway--after trying to explain it to Samsung---which basically gaffed me off--I'd called Sears and they sent out a technician and confirmed that I wasn't going crazy.

That was end of set one. Too bad--besides that one flaw--it was the best of the three sets I got.

The following week they delivered set two.

Right out of the box--no sticker residue discoloration but it was so badly converged and adjusted in terms of geometry that I called immediately about the set to have a tech come out again. Sears was very nice about this.

He confirmed the set was whacked--and since it was a new set out of the box--he would not perform a convergence. End of set two[how it got out of the factory like this I don't know--probably a bad morning for the adjuster]

The following week---set three.

Well--not as perfect as set one--but I could live with it--and with some tweaking through the service menu--it was in the ballpark.

For a $1,150 set--I was satisfied. I mean c'mon--if I could/wanted to spend twice that amount--I would gotten almost any brand but Samsung :)

But with the T-150 receiver for $299 and the radio shack double bow tie antenna for five bucks--I had Over the Air HDTV for around $1,600 complete. Not too shabby....even cheaper if you get Digital cable around here--they give you a box!

Would I recommend this set? If you are handy and can tweak it--you will get a great picture.

If you are critical--even as a casual viewer--and know what to look for--then yeah---just make sure you have a iron clad exchange agreement if the one they delivered to you is a turkey.

So my opinions of Samsung has really changed for both the positive and negative on their products.

I just hope their quality control is better nowadays.

I do commend Sears about their excellent customer service--cause I would hate to have to argue about what constitutes an acceptable set with some less customer service oriented store.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
For a way to get into the service menu go down & click on last URL in my signature,

when on scroll down to Master Index.

You'll find your brand in the 5s, mine was at 5.4 RCA/Proscan/GE :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
My brother just purchased a Samsung 3097 and there was a slight off set on the left side So i went in to the service menu to adjust it. The only test DVD I had was a very basic THX setup on Toy Story 2. I noticed that after I had made my adjustments using my DVD player and switched on my PS2 to see how the games looked the adjustments had no effect on the picture of PS2.

Are the adjustments in the service menu only for the input mode currently selected? In my case my DVD player connected through component cable. Or should these adjustments apply to all input modes AV1-3, component 1&2?

Can I make these settings to aggressive possibly causing more harm than good? I would assume I could and If it is possible are there any good sites for guidlines on how to properly adjust the settings in the service menu with out going to far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You must adjust for all inputs.

This is a good set once all is configured properly.

I was fortunate to have one come from the factory in "pretty good" shape. I am finishing my 200 hour burn in and am ready to tweak. Discovery HD on C band satellite is so awesome.

Some people should consider their HD source as a problem also and not blame the set in every instance.

Regards.:D

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hmm, my month old 3096 is damn near perfect out of the box. I did the normal service menu run through - disabled velocity scan, dropped the color axis, enabled BBE, etc... and it is great. Aside from some very, very minor geometry issues, it is great.

For the $900 that I spent, I doubt that I could have done much better. As a matter of fact I am happy that I did not spend more on a RPTV that has basically the same capabilities, like a few of my friends have. I bought this set knowing that within five years it would be a secondary TV as soon as standards are solidified and good large screen TVs come down in price. But, the way it is right now, I will keep this as a primary for as long as possible.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
does disabling the velocity scan modulation really help that much?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
well i disabled the velocity scan on my tv today and i can see there's a difference between when i had it activated and not

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.