AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i currently have a Sony LCD and want to upgrade it.. I was looking at the 7000 Samsung line, LED, but will consider any brand. I want quality.. I am told the Panasonics are made by Pioneer Elite? That the Panasonics are great, and especially the plasmas.. I have no idea about plasma but would appreciate some input.. I have a fairly lit room but not direct sunlight.. I want to stay 46 ... i can't go up the room isn't big enough...

Please help... The Sammy goes off sale at Best Buy tomorrow or i would have already been researching more.. You guys have helped me through a lot of purchases and I have read a ton here but not lately...

'

thanks much

·
Registered
11,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyh /forum/post/20815467

Hi, i currently have a Sony LCD and want to upgrade it.. I was looking at the 7000 Samsung line, LED, but will consider any brand. I want quality.. I am told the Panasonics are made by Pioneer Elite? That the Panasonics are great, and especially the plasmas.. I have no idea about plasma but would appreciate some input.. I have a fairly lit room but not direct sunlight.. I want to stay 46 ... i can't go up the room isn't big enough...

Please help... The Sammy goes off sale at Best Buy tomorrow or i would have already been researching more.. You guys have helped me through a lot of purchases and I have read a ton here but not lately...

'

thanks much

Panasonic purchased the Kuro patents but they have not implemented much of it in my opinion. Still both Panasonic and Samsung make great tvs. Plasma has advantages in off angle viewing, motion processing and black levels in some cases. If you want to look at Pannys check out the ST30, GT30 or VT30 lines. Not sure what your budget is but all of those sets are solid. Samsung plasma look at the D7000 or d8000 series but I am not sure they make a 46" model.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Know the few disadvantages to plasma as well, the most noted include: limited light output for that fairly lit room you mentioned, and the use of dithering to create low end detail. On the LCD end, especially the edge lit LED models your looking at, disadvantages include screen uniformity.

I would say, in the plasma world, consider the Panasonic GT30 as a good mid-range option. Review: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-34468656.html

In the LCD world I would consider the Samsung LED-LCD UN46D6000 as a good mid-range option. Review: http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...0-led-lcd-hdtv

Both have very good reviews. The Samsung takes the cake with its grayscale and color accuracy out of the box, and the GT30 takes its advantage with its better uniformity.

Of course, if you have more cash to spend, the higher up the ladder you go, like the VT30 or the D7000, D8000 LED-LCDS, I am sure the quality and features gets better. (look into that though!)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, yes the lighting is not right for Plasma.. Redwolf, what are the main differences between the Sammy you mentioned and the 7000 series led lcd.. they are both on sale at best buy today.. I can get either one and i know the 7000 is 3d with free glasses and blu ray *both of them* but it also has a free HT system... I dont know what to do..

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k /forum/post/20817376

Know the few disadvantages to plasma as well, the most noted include: limited light output for that fairly lit room you mentioned, and the use of dithering to create low end detail. On the LCD end, especially the edge lit LED models your looking at, disadvantages include screen uniformity.

I would say, in the plasma world, consider the Panasonic GT30 as a good mid-range option. Review: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-34468656.html

In the LCD world I would consider the Samsung LED-LCD UN46D6000 as a good mid-range option. Review: http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...0-led-lcd-hdtv

Both have very good reviews. The Samsung takes the cake with its grayscale and color accuracy out of the box, and the GT30 takes its advantage with its better uniformity.

Of course, if you have more cash to spend, the higher up the ladder you go, like the VT30 or the D7000, D8000 LED-LCDS, I am sure the quality and features gets better. (look into that though!)

Well said, great post! There's no need for me to chime in anymore, so i'll just congratulate you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts