AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have narrowed my search for a speaker upgrade to these speakers. I have a custom cabinet for which the red cherry finish is almost an exact match. After auctioning speakers for the last couple of months I find myself always returning to these. I would like to know what center channel speakers work well with these speakers. What about subs? Need recommendations for those as well. I am concerned about sub performance for music only, not much into special effects but will not shy away from having my cake and eating it too :D. Also any tips on placement would be greatly appreciated. At first, I intend to use my PSB stratus gold(i) for rears at first but would like advice on that as well.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi Bulldogger,

For center and rears, you should stay in the Nautilus line (timber matching).

If you can afford them and if your room is large enough (with a transparent screen) 5 N802 would of course be ideal IMO. Or the HTM1 for center (if you have an RPTV) and why not the N805 or NSCM1 for the rears (depending on your room configuration).

As far as the sub is concerned, note that the N802 go quite low alone (but don't be shy on the power amp then). Perhaps you could start without a sub and see later if you really need one, if yes I would then suggest the ASW4000: they are meant to match the Nautilus line as they use the N801 driver. I have 2 of them to match my N805 (I have 4 N805 for LR and rears plus the HTM2 for center). The ASW4000 is really great on music. However I would suggest that you try them before in your setup (though not easy due to the weight), their internal amp does not necessarily fit everyone's need: no XLR inputs (if it matters), limited flexibility (in some case) of the crossover and in my case I could not use the auto-switch-on feature (it introduced a delay at switch on, and an audible click, very annoying). I ended up bypassing the internal amps and replaced them with a Crown K2 plus external active digital crossover and EQ which at the end is a quite expensive setup.... but now I am happy :)

Michel

·
Registered
290 Posts
In our showroom we have the HTM2 mated to the N802's, with the ASW4000 sub. It sounds great, but if we had the room, we would have definately used the HTM1. The HTM2 can't quite keep up with the N802's. The HTM2 is better suited to the N805's.

Like I said, we used the HTM2, only because we didn't have the room for the HTM1, which would be a better match for the N802's.

You could see a picture of this arrangement at our website address: www.domanientertainment.com . You will see from the picture why the HTM2 was chosen.

JJP

·
Registered
227 Posts
Bulldogger, I hope you mean "auditioning" the N802's, not "auctioning" them. :)

I have the N802's and I can whole heartedly advise you to go for it!

I don't understand the previous post. Are you referring to the HTM1 and HTM2 or NHTM1 and NHTM2? I believe there is a difference. Also, if the NHTM2 works in your room, why wouldn't the NHTM1? Granted, the latter is twice as big, but not prohibitively so. If your room is big enough for the N802, it would surely fit the NHTM1.

I originally had the NHTM2 but upgraded. The NHTM1 is a much better match with the N802's. It goes deeper and I like that its woofer design makes it symmetrical as opposed to the NHTM2 which is like the N805 on its side. I have N805 for the rears which is great considering deep bass is rarely assigned back there. No sub is necessary as my N802's are capable of deep bass and I live in a condo with a downstairs neighbor. I don't want to shake the poor guy's pictures off his walls with a sub.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I heartily agree the N802's are terrific for music and movies, unless your room is highly reflective (lots of glass, wood floors, sparse furnishings) or your amp is current-shy (impedance of the speaker is a bit demanding). The Nautili may then be a bit too bright.

A sub is not required as far as the N802's are concerned, unless

1. It is a very large room

2. Placement of the N802's for best imaging/soundstaging precludes best placement for bass smoothness/reach.

If condition two is the case, a good sub in conjunction with a parametric/digital EQ can work wonders, without having to introduce said electronic device into the main signal chain.

To re-emphasize, the N802's are of that handful of speakers that are really special: truly high-end in the best sense of the phrase.

·
Registered
227 Posts
>> I heartily agree the N802's are terrific for music and movies, unless . . . your amp is current-shy (impedance of the speaker is a bit demanding).

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi All,

I have always admired the B&W speaker line.

And I had listened to the Nautilus 802 with the YBA Passion Monoblocks. And I didn't like that combination. It lacked the dynamics and power that I like.

But recently I heard these speakers paired with a pair of Classe 600 watt monoblocks and they just sang. It was an amazing demonstration.

I personally think pairing these speakers up with good solid state amplification like the Krell or Bryston and now Classe will bring these babies to life.

So my recommendation is to get some good amplifiers with some juice and they will sound amazing with both music and movies.

Just my 2cents, Brian

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi Gremal

you wrote:

" I don't understand the attitude that more watts is better when it comes to speakers with the sensitivity of these."

Well, even if sensitivity is high, their impendance also drops from 8 to 3 ohm. And then it depends on your needs/taste i.e. for some type of music and depending on your room size a limited power tube amp may well be enough and in fact sound wonderfull but in larger room with heavier bass and dynamic material the setup will sound limited. I merely find difficult to recommend low power amp with the N802 especially when they are going to be used as part of a HT system.

My personnal choice would be to go for a minimum of 250W (I did listen to N802 with 150W monoblocs and IMHO the result was not satisfying).

Michel

·
Registered
646 Posts
TAH,

Of course, good amp and not simply powerful but the N802 will NOT be unbearably loud with 250/500W (8/4 ohm). At lot of people are running the N802 with even more than that. Look at the Classe 600W monobloc post in this thread, I also know people running them with the Bryston 7B monobloc with excellent results

FYI: I have an excellent Chord amp with 250W/400W on my N805... and they sound wonderful and surely not too loud (although the N805 could have happily live with less)

Michel

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mfombellida

The ASW4000 is really great on music. However I would suggest that you try them before in your setup (though not easy due to the weight), their internal amp does not necessarily fit everyone's need: no XLR inputs (if it matters), limited flexibility (in some case) of the crossover and in my case I could not use the auto-switch-on feature (it introduced a delay at switch on, and an audible click, very annoying). I ended up bypassing the internal amps and replaced them with a Crown K2 plus external active digital crossover and EQ which at the end is a quite expensive setup.... but now I am happy :)

Michel
Interesting, I was bothered by the switch sound of the ASW4000 too. You can hear it even when you switch the amp from 'auto' to 'on'. B&W Germany said that this is due to the amp constantly scanning the decoder inputs and the line inputs for the signal.

Instead of bypassing the ASW4000's internal amp, a couple of weeks ago I sent it to B&W for modification. They disconnect the line inputs and only switch the decoder input live constantly. I'll get it back on monday.

I must say, great customer service.

Cheers

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will be using a California Audio Labs MCA 2500 rated at 500 watts a channel into 8 ohms. A friend owns N802s which I have used with the Cal amp but could not "crank it" like I would have liked to really, really know about bass response. Gremal, I guess you have to actually read the replacement word when you use the spell checker :). I have room for the largest center speaker but it will have to be stand mounted. My electric screen is not perforated and extends to 24 inches off the floor so the center will have to be on the floor. Anyone know of a good stand for this purpose? As for surrounds, they will likely be stand mounted as well. I have 5 foot , six inch stands custom made by collettidesigns.com , the punch model. I suggest anyone needing tall stands check these guys out. The stands cost 350.00 and relieved me of the difficulty of wall mounting heavy rear channel speakers. Mofombellida thanks for the tips on the sub! The room is carpeted and I have Echo busters room treatments. When I was auditioning the N802s the other day, I had them toed-in. My dealer rushed over and told me not to do that. He said with no toe-in, the will be absolutely no brightness and the speaker will still image precisely. He was correct.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Bulldogger,

If you look for a floor stand for the NHTM1 or NHTM2, B&W has (or had) one (the same for both model). It shares the same look as the N805 stand and it allows different tilt angles (0, 4 and 8 degrees). The name is FS-HTM. I don't see it anymore on the B&W web site, but they had it... for sure, I have one :D

Mike,

"Instead of bypassing the ASW4000's internal amp, a couple of weeks ago I sent it to B&W for modification. They disconnect the line inputs and only switch the decoder input live constantly."

At some stage, I asked B&W for a solution but at that time they did not offer me this possibility. This would indeed have been an option. I am now very happy with the Crown and the external cross/EQ (fully digital).

Michel

·
Registered
799 Posts
I currently have my N801's driven by a pair of 7B's and love it but is still shopping for another amp(s) as alternative to the Brystons. They will also be used on a pair of Maggie 3.6. I have a pair of Citadels on order but Theta is VERY slow to deliver. If my patience ever runs out on me the Classe monobloc or even the Plinius 250 will be viable options. Any other suggestions?

Btw, there ain't no way I'll use a SW with my B&W, that goes with the 802 as well even though I already have an HGS-18 in the same room for HT.

PF

·
Registered
646 Posts
pf,

Well with the N801, difficult to see what SW could improve anything (the ASW4000 which is a very big SW uses the N801 driver...).

If you can, try to audition a Chord amp with your N801. Chord amps are really good match for the Nautilus. You'll surely need an amp in the high power serie but they have some choice :)

Have a look to:
http://195.40.133.90/website/main-products.htm

Although perhaps not easy to find in the US!

Michel

·
Registered
799 Posts
Michel, I thought I read about some online place actually selling Chord products a while back (or I may have mistaken the brand name) but have lost my old address book since my last two ISP/browser changes. I will keep looking to see what I can find but probably won't start any serious shopping till 'bout a month from now and that should give Theta ample time to get their act together. Really one kinda wonder what should I expect service wise from them even if I ever get the Citadels. :(

PF

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi PF,

Have you considered getting the Krell FPB 600 for your Nautilus 801's. I bet it would make your speakers sing.

Although I think the Bryston 7Bst's are great speakers in there own right.

Just my 2cents, Brian

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
mfombellida, you misunderstood.

I didn't say they would be unbearably loud with a 250W amp. I simply said that if you input 250W to them they would play very loudly. Of course you never play at full volume.

TAH

·
Registered
227 Posts
Bulldogger, I don't think B&W makes a stand for the NHTM1.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.