AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Ahanix MCE601 and GIGABYTE GV-NX66T128VP Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 (passive cooling). The case cover doesn't fit b'cos of the cooling pipe that extends beyond the card. I have two options:

1) Return the video card and get a fan based video card (GIGABYTE GV-NX66T128D Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3).

Q) How bad is the noise?

2) Drill hole in the case so that the pipe extends beyond the case (I think it extends 0.25" or so). I know aesthetically its gonna look bad (?) but I have to use a external IR receiver anyways...so I can mask it behind the receiver..

Any opinions on which option is better?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Personally I'd never drill a hole in a nice case like that. Surely there must be another solution. How about ZM80A-HP from Zalman? Not sure if it will fit on a 6600, but judging from the size compared to the stock cooler on your card, it has a chance of cooling well enough. The heatpipe extends around the back. ZM80C and D are mounted with screws on top, so they could be a problem for you. Something to look into..

·
Registered
418 Posts
The Zalman ZM80 has a couple of side brackets that extents over a video card too, that needs to be considered. I don't know how tall the Ahanix MCE601 is but I know the Zalman would not fit the Dvine5. It would work without the brackets, but I don't think it'll be very strong that way.

The Arctic coolers could be an option. When the fans are set to low, you really can't hear it. I wouldn't cut a case just to accommodate a video card.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you guys suggesting that fan based video cards are not a good option here? And to replace my current passive video card?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just so you know, the opening between the top of the video card (with out the pipe extension) to the top of the case is about 0.5 - 1"...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5a5l3m
Are you guys suggesting that fan based video cards are not a good option here? And to replace my current passive video card?
I thought you already decided between fan-based or passive. If you want to go passive, keep the card you have. Likely the components on that card are chosen specifically for a passive cooling design. Just have a look at the pictures and I'm sure you can figure out if the ZM80 will fit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by arca
I thought you already decided between fan-based or passive. If you want to go passive, keep the card you have. Likely the components on that card are chosen specifically for a passive cooling design. Just have a look at the pictures and I'm sure you can figure out if the ZM80 will fit.
Arca,

Are you suggesting that I remove the passive cooling on my video card and add the Zalman ZM80? Is it easy to remove the passive cooling?

·
Registered
353 Posts
That's the suggestion. From the pictures it looks like there are two screws holding the cooler. I hope it's not glued to the chip, but you'll notice if there's more holding the cooler than those two screws. Other than that it's as easy at putting a cooler on a CPU. I have a ZM80 on my Radeon 9800. But if you're uncomfortable with breaking warranty and taking risks, then look for a quiet fan-cooled card. For me it's a hobby and I don't get upset if I fry a CPU or a mainboard - I consider that part of the learning and part of the quest for complete silence. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.