AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, finally got my new setup put together. Here's my build (after much debate and suggestions from this board), I went with:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Gigabyte GA-770T

AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Quad Core (arctic silver 5 cooled)

Cooler Master GeminII S CPU Cooler

2X 1TB WD Caviar Black Hard Drives

Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5

4GB G.Skill 240-Pin DDR3

LG 10X Blu-ray Burner

Corsair 550W 80+ PSU

nMedia Red Wood HTPC 8000 case

I was wondering if there's any proper workflow for installing the software now. I've never configured BIOS or anything like that. I need to know if I install Windows-BIOS-GPU Software-etc. in any certain order to prevent problems. Any suggestions on how to do BIOS setup would also be a big help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
why do you need to get into bios? unless you need to turn ona sata port, overclock your CPU, or just setup secruity.....you shouldn't need to mess with BIOS.

now if you are talking about loading drivers for your devices inside of windows...don't worry about order...win7 takes care of itself pretty well and you can just install away...

·
Registered
340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude78 /forum/post/18292487

Ok, finally got my new setup put together. Here's my build (after much debate and suggestions from this board), I went with:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Gigabyte GA-770T

AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Quad Core (arctic silver 5 cooled)

Cooler Master GeminII S CPU Cooler

2X 1TB WD Caviar Black Hard Drives

Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5

4GB G.Skill 240-Pin DDR3

LG 10X Blu-ray Burner

Corsair 550W 80+ PSU

nMedia Red Wood HTPC 8000 case

I was wondering if there's any proper workflow for installing the software now. I've never configured BIOS or anything like that. I need to know if I install Windows-BIOS-GPU Software-etc. in any certain order to prevent problems. Any suggestions on how to do BIOS setup would also be a big help.

The only reason you should need to get into the BIOS is to make sure the computer is booting off the dvd drive before the hard drive so it boots the Windows install.

Mike

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
yeah you are going to have to use the bios I dont know why he said you wouldnt. You need to go in and make sure that it boots to cd and then hard drive. Once you load windows and it reboots press delete again and enter bios and have it load off hard drive now. Its annoying but necessary.

If its a new board it probably has the latest bios installed. I would check to be sure but its something you can do later as well. After that I dont know what OS you are choosing but on windows 7 I just do the normal windows updates and while its doing that I go install the graphics driver. After that I install microsoft security essentials and jsut have it update and not scan. You will have to reboot 3-4 times. I usually have this first batch of stuff install and not reboot until I have the windows update, graphics driver and MSE installed. Once all 3 are done I reboot and then check for further windows updates as their will be more. That should be about it. You probably dont need to mess with chipset drivers unless windows update doesnt get them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ok, well he did say he is choosing win7 64bit...

also its a new pc, it won't find anything to boot from the hard drive so it will go to the next boot option, the dvd rom...he doesn't have to change that setting...

that cuts out a lot of the steps...so don't worry about bios...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help, got everything up and running. Device manager is still showing two devices with exclamation points. I tried to let windows fix the problem with troubleshooting, that didn't work. Problems found are Marvell 91xx config ata device doesn't have a driver & USB controller doesn't have a driver. Anyone know how to fix those - should I look for drivers on the motherboard site, if so which ones.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts