AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building some video (component) and audio cables for long runs using coax and have purchased some connectors (rca to rg6 coax), but no instructions came with them. Do all I have to worry about is getting the bare copper all the way to the end and making sure it doesn't come out?

Thanks

Dennis

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
What brand connectors are you using? Different manufacturers specify different stripping lengths for the outer jacket, braided shield, inner dielectric, and length of the conductor.

Take a look at this post for some options (see posts 1 and 7):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=348219

CJ

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding.

I am using Parts Express part # 092-497. I can't seem to find instructions on how far to strip the coax copper wire and insulation to insert into the male RCA connector. I have shrink wrap tubing to secure it as well as crimper if it calls for that.

I will try to send them an email as well to see if they can give me instructions.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I don't see anything either on the page. Please note that you need to use a compression tool, not a crimper for those. Here is a pretty good set of instructions for a similar type connector:
http://www.hometech.com/learn/coaxterm.html

CJ

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
091-1060 is the part for a crimp connection.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Have a look at this thread.

I have used the #092-497 RCA connectors. The crimping process diagram on the Parts Express site shows how to strip the coax for an F type connector. You do the same thing for both RCA and BNC types.

The diagram is labelled as a crimping process, but as was pointed out, these are compression connectors.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do I need to make sure that the copper goes all the way to the tip inside the RCA connector?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
For the best results, it should go in as far as it can (try taking a small paper clip and see how far it will go). However, as long as constant contact is made, you'll be alright. Have you tried the Parts Express tech support?

CJ

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sent them an email this past weekend but they haven't responded yet. If I don't hear from them soon, I'll just experiment.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
They have an 800 tech support number listed on their website.

CJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.