AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally ready to start equiping our new home theatre. We are pre-wired in our new home for an overhead projector with all wires running to a homerun area. We need everything. The throw distance is approx. 12 feet and the area for the screen is 15 feet wide. We can darken completely if needed.

I suppose the first thing to do is decide which projector to buy and then match up the balance of the equipment to compliment that.

I am not a techie so I need help with all of this. Given my room what projectors qualify? I have read this board and see a lot of info. but not sure how best to start the sorting process. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Hi, Mike!

Many projectors could potentially fit your room, depending on what sized screen you are actually look for. As always, however, the first place to start is your budget. It's possible to build a system for perhaps $5K at the low end, up to hundreds of thousands of dollars at the other end of the scale. If we can at least get an order of magnitude, that'll help us to point you in the right direction!

Cheers!

MarkF

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, considering I need all equipment, I would say somewhere between 10-15,000. Obviously looking for the best for the least. Mike

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekimkci
Wow, considering I need all equipment, I would say somewhere between 10-15,000. Obviously looking for the best for the least. Mike
Why not try starting with a used CRT - get over the initial setup shock and maybe save yourself thousands in bulbs and warranty issues of DLP/LCD projectors.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Mike: I tend to differ in responding to threads like this....first problem I see is you are admitted not a tech person...not that you need to be, but it takes a lot of time and effort to understand all your options and narrow your choices to the best bang for the buck. What you'll get in a request like this is a lot of suggestions of what is the personal favs from all of us...will it fit your needs...hard to say since you really don't know at this point in your evolution of this hobby what your likes and dislikes are....

that's why I really suggest you find a local retailer or installer that can give you the basics and allow you to see and hear for yourself that way you can form your own preferences. When you start to upgrade down the road you'll have had a chance to read up and pick and choose from all the options the hobby has to offer, along with the info that is provided at AVS

Best Wishes

Ron

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
ekimkci, you're welcome to come over and see what I've put together in the $10-15k range for my HT. I'm in Carmel so it shouldn't be too far a drive. PM me if interested.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilson
ekimkci, you're welcome to come over and see what I've put together in the $10-15k range for my HT. I'm in Carmel so it shouldn't be too far a drive. PM me if interested.
What a terrific idea and nice gesture.

Ron

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Being in Indy you might be able to get into CEDIA on September 9th and see a fair amount of stuff. It is the last year at Indy and the biggest show of the year for types like us. For CRTs you might have to find some enthusiasts though, as CRT showings tend to be pretty slim at these shows now.

--Darin

·
Registered
220 Posts
Good luck, I spent the last 3 months literally researching my equipment... take your time, do your reading before you purchase. Here's my setup:

Sharp XV-Z2000 DLP Projector (DVI Input)

Stewart Firehawk 100" Screen

Denon AVR-4806 7.1 receiver (3 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI Output)

Denon DVD-1920

Swan 6.1 Front Speakers

Swan C3 Center Speaker

Swan R3 Side Speakers

Swan R3 Rear Speakers

SVS PC-Ultra Subwoofer

Silver Serpent 49ft Sub Cable (BetterCables.com)

Coaster Seating (Directors chairs, AVS Power Buy)

Monster XP braided speaker wire, 250ft

MX-3000 Universal Remote Control

4 Zone Remote Controlled Light panel

All had for somewhere between $15,000 - $16,000... Do your homework on the internet, I estimate that I saved approximately $5,000 - 8,000 bucks simply by internet discounts and no sales tax. The powerbuy on the chairs was huge savings, the Sharp Projector lists for like $4000, but I got it for $3200...

You can find the best pricing on items at Zdnet.com and Cnet.com.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have looked at the local brick and mortar places and have an idea of projector needs, screen, speakers, etc. I am using this as my starting point. These places have quoted me my choices. We find it difficult to distinguish between the real expensive and the next levels down. We picked a Runco model from all we saw of the high to low priced projectors here in Indy. Then I was recommended to look at this site before buying by my son-in-law. Here I read that many projectors are equivalent to the Runco but a lot less expensive. So what I am trying to do is find the current best projector for my room. And then start matching dvd, screen to that projector.

Last year we were looking to buy a BENQ and then we got stopped shopping by family matters. So reading this board it appears there are new projectors have emerged that are perhaps better than the Benq 8700. I have read the Projector Central review of the BenQ, Optomo, etc. and it appears the Optomo H77, 79? would meet or needs but not sure I understand if it will fit. Room is 13 by 16 with 9 foot ceilings. Prewire has theprojector throw at approx. 12 1/2 feet Can I use the Benq 8700+, the Optoma H77 or newer version, or what.

Are there others to consider in this class of projectors?

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is Cedia open to the public? It would be great to see projectors, etc not in show rooms around here. Mike

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
No offense Mark, but if you want this thread to be closed it is a good start...

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Mike it's information like the above posts that are important to know to properly help you. To go from I need it all to I've shopped and here is the level I'm looking for is a big step in information.

Ron

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, one forgets that no one knows what I have done to date. I picked a poor starting point but am open to any and all opinions. So that is what I am trying to gather----any and all opinions however based on past data I am leaning towards a mid-priced set up. Mike

·
Registered
13,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekimkci
I suppose the first thing to do is decide which projector to buy and then match up the balance of the equipment to compliment that.
I would start by determining your preferred screen size for the room. Based on viewing preferences, seating and other room factors. Once you have a guess go to Fry's, Ovation or some other place and view their projectors trying to match your estimated screen size and seating distance. Hopefully, for more than a couple of minutes. This can really help in picking the right screen size, which pretty much everything evolves around.

Once the screen is set everything else should start to fall into place. Seating, speakers’ type and locations, equipment storage, and your projector’s throw requirements including any needed horizontal or vertical offset. Once you know the requirements you should end up with a few good choices in your price range and if at all possible see them in person.

I guess my point is (if I have one) is to consider it a theater not a room where you install a lot of home theater equipment. Design around the room. You are welcome to view my room (Fishers) though you can pretty much get the gist of it via the images linked in my signature. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The first thing I would determine is type of projector. There are several main types, digital is going to be the least work to get. DLP, LCD and DILA are the main types. Each has their own pros and cons, and different looks to them. As others have said, it is probably wise to take a look around locally and see what each has to offer. You won't find all the models locally, but it will give you a good idea. The screen then can be decided on once the projector is chosen. If you need some specific differences, feel free to email me or give me a call!

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
By the way I'll be at Cedia next month in Indianapolis, if you want me to come by and take a look at your setup and give some suggestions, I can plan it in for you. Let me know.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Not my intention to have him get everything from me (although of course I would appreciate the oppurtunity to get his business). I will be there anyways and I not only am in sales, but also installations so I can help figure out placement and such for him, and what will work in the room.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.