AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of building a HTPC so that I can do some PC Gaming on the big screen, however, I have a few problems that I haven't found a good resolution and looking for some help/advice.

Here are some of my problems.

1. The PC would be almost 20 - 30 feet away from seating area.

2. The Seating area is Home Theatre type seating so no place to put keyboard and mouse.

Does anyone have advice as to how I can use a keyboard/mouse with my setup? I don't mind using something that I can put on my lap that would allow the keyboard and mouse to work, but looking for something that would be a little stable. I play games such as MMO's and RPG's that require almost all the keys to be used, so looking for some type of comfortable setup.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. Will pick one up to test.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
I would run the cables under the carpet/floor then up into the couch/chair. I've found the mouse doesn't need anything typically. Opticals work well on most fabrics. Perhaps for the keyboard a coffee table that pops up and out. I use a nostromo for gaming on the couch.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking about a BT keyboard/mouse, but wondering if the range would give a lot of lag?

Which BT keyboard/mouse would you recommend?

I also thought about running the wires, which might still be an option. Guess all I would need is one USB wire and a hub in my seating area as this would then allow me to plug my mouse and keyboard into.

Now, onto Video Cards. Maybe I should start a new thread, but anyone have any recommendations for a video card that displays HDMI or Component?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
almost every current vid card will support video over HDMI, be it native or via a DVI to HDMI adapter. Most vid cards will support component via a breakout adapter. Just beware some new vid cards no longer has the component adapter option. Getting audio out of the HDMI along with video is another matter, well right now there are few methods. ATI with the 2 (?) 3 and 4 series will support audio over HDMI since they have and audio chip on the card (realtek), with Nvidia's newer cards like the 200 series you can connect the audio either from a sound card or mobo sound to a digital connection on the vid card which will pass thru the audio with the video over the DVI to HDMI adapter which is norm included with the vid card. But to get the best audio either for gamimg or HT, IMO you will want a separate sound card. Depending on what you want to focus on, HT or gaming there are sound cards that can cater to your preferences.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This machine is strickly for gaming period.

Going to check out some video cards and spec out a machine this weekend.

Thanks for the tips so far.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarner /forum/post/16996739

This machine is strickly for gaming period.

Going to check out some video cards and spec out a machine this weekend.

Thanks for the tips so far.

Ok, since I been branded long ago as a Nvidia die hard...I would rec a GTX 275 or 285 and an Auzenteck sound card. Nvidia since their drivers are norm better and more up to date with current games then ATI drivers, which many times you would have wait to get support for new games. Auzentech since they support DD live well esp if you plan on only using one optical/coax SPDIF cable then they have the best support for surround directional sound. If you want the best gaming sound, then either get a Creative X-fi card (I can't believe I just rec a Creative sound card
) or the Auzentech's X-fi Prelude (PCI) or the X-fi Forte (PCI-E). The Auzentech because they also work well for HT. The X-fi cards support EAX 5.0. This will not really matter if you don't use XP since EAX is not well support in VISTA (fake EAX) and prob not with Win7 either (prob also fake EAX).

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, I plan on making everything wired. Thanks for the advice. It isn't difficult to get the keyboad/mouse to the seating area, and I just purchased the keyboard lap thing from IKEA (thanks for the tip).

It is rather small, but I think I can make it work. At the very least, I will look at smaller keyboards as I don't need a keyboard with the seperate number keys at the side.

Now just adding up for a gaming rig. Looking at the i7 processor. Not looking to spend more than 1K for everything as I already have a powerful gaming rig, except it is in the office and used for my day to day stuff, and it would be more difficult to transfer my stuff to yet another new machine.

I don't like ATI as well, so Nvidia will be what I am looking to purchase.

Keep the tips coming!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
A nice KB is the Microsoft Sidewinder. You can take the num pad off or attached on either side. Very nice feel, a lot better then all Logi KB IMO, even tho I am using a Logi G19 right now. The keys just feels better with the MS kb's over the Logi offerings. The MS keys has more a click to them rather the semi mush feel of the Logi ones.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I'm currently using a Microsoft Sidewinder X6 and X5 for my keyboard and mouse. I moved from a Logitech G15/G5 combo, and like Tinker, I very much prefer the layout and feel of the Microsoft setup.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just doing some quick research and I saw the Logitech G13 Game pad. Is this thing any good?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarner /forum/post/17002046

Just doing some quick research and I saw the Logitech G13 Game pad. Is this thing any good?

IMHO, to use as a total kb replacement...def a big NO. But as supplement to a kb for additional features/macros, then maybe. I use one on my sim racing rig since I don't have kb mount on my rig. I progm some of the most used features that I need for my racing sims on the G13. Over all if you want a game pad, then the G13 is prob one of the best.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
While I don't mind using a full keyboard, having the ability to use a smaller form factor such as the G13 seems to have it's own benefits. Sometimes my hands get tired of using the WADX keys on the keyboard and I was thinking that using the G13 might have a benefit.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarner /forum/post/17002808

While I don't mind using a full keyboard, having the ability to use a smaller form factor such as the G13 seems to have it's own benefits. Sometimes my hands get tired of using the WADX keys on the keyboard and I was thinking that using the G13 might have a benefit.

FWIW, the keys on the G13 are the same size and maybe even a little bigger/farther apart then the keys on a reg Logi KB, so if you get tired using WASD on a reg kb, you might be the same with the G13. I have both a Belkin N50 and the Logi G13. Like I said I only use the G13 as a preset controller for my race sims. I never liked the N50. But then there are some that swears by the key game pad type kb. I personlly pref a reg kb and mouse for FPS.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks,

Going to pick up the Microsoft Sidewinder and check it out to see if I like it compared to the Logitech gaming keyboards.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarner /forum/post/17004006

Thanks,

Going to pick up the Microsoft Sidewinder and check it out to see if I like it compared to the Logitech gaming keyboards.

Here is a tip maybe to save some $$$, check NCIX (Victoria BC) and price match with Canada Direct (Victoria BC) if they are cheaper and you will only pay the GST and shipping. If the shipping is cheaper then the PST then you will save some $$$. NCIX pricing is norm decent as long as you use their specials (banner at top of page) else their reg price is a little on high side but still compareable to most places. Direct Canada pricing is lower and so is their normal shipping. NCIX has a much better (better then most e-tailers) RMA process and Direct Canada is norm for industry.

http://www.ncix.com/ and http://directcanada.com/ give them a try. I dealt with them for years and they been great esp if my local supplier can not match their prices or do not carry the product. If you ship air norm you would get it next day (not weekends) as long as you ordered before 4pm EST and also their order backup status. Else ground takes about 4-5 days.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.