AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm ready to hook up my HTPC to the rest of the equipment in my racks. This PC will primarily used for gaming, however. I've got about 20 feet of distance between my seating location and the equipment rack. Also note that in the front of the 2nd row riser, I've got an empty electrical box with a 1" conduit running to the rack as well (about a 45 foot run).

My options for keyboard/mouse control of the HTPC are as follows:

1 - IR Keyboard/Mouse. Good for general HTPC as the IR codes can be learned by a programmable remote.

2 - RF Keyboard/Mouse. No line-of-sight required, but $150+ for longer range (over 10 feet) models, from what I've seen.

3 - Run CAT5 cable from the rack to the front of the riser and terminate with PS/2 connectors, or just long PS/2 extension cables.

Question(s):

-I play a lot of 1st person shooter type games. I've read of latency issues with the IR and RF Keyboards used in this case. Is this a problem?

-Would I have any reliability problems with 50+ feet of PS/2 cable if I go this way?

Please help! I wanna play CounterStrike in my HT room!!!!

-Chris

·
Registered
197 Posts
There's another option, although I haven't seen many reviews on it... M$ has a new wireless bluetooth keyboard out. Supposed to be like RF, with about 25' useable range from what I hear...

Of course, I've had others tell me their bluetooth devices loose sync when in the same room as a cordless telephone on 2.4GHz and the phone rings, soooo....

Personally, I wouldn't want any wires hanging around my couch. It's my major gripe when I'm using my laptop, and even with a wireless network connection you've still got either battery life to worry about, or a cord. I'm still undecided on the IR vs RF thing myself, as I do like the learnability of certain commands...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Why not run 2 20ft usb extension cords under the capet (20ft extension + 6 foot original = 26 foot run)....Im telling you right now RF is not responsive enough for intense game playin like Counterstrike/Doom3/Q3Arena

youll get picked off in a heartbeat

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't run anything under the carpet because 1 - room's completed, and 2 - the equipment room is an "entry room" of sorts for the theater room and has a ceramic tile floor.

The comment genocide1 made about RF not being "responsive enough" is what I was looking for, I guess. Unless I hear a conflicting opinion/experience, it looks like hard wiring is the only way to go. Won't be too bad, though, as the other cables from the xbox will be there anyway, and it's a no-traffic area: about 1 1/2 feet from the back of the front row of theater seating to the front of the riser, and the riser is deep enough that people walk across it for the second row, not in front of it.

Any concerns with the 45+ feet I'll have to run the PS/2 connections? I've been told this could be a problem as well, but I'm assuming it'll work...

-Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.