AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for one or two large panels to hang high on a wall in a network operations center. They'll display system and network status information and network maps. The 50" plasmas all seem to be about 1365x768; I don't know the resolutions for 60", LCDs, or high-end projectors.

Do any of you have experience with such things or recommendations?

Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
230 Posts
Personally, I think I'd be looking more at projectors if I were you. The picture can scale with your NOC, it's generally fairly dark in all of the NOCs I've ever seen (but ambient light could be an issue for projectors if it's overly bright), and you don't have to worry about burn-in at all.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ken-

We just recently purchased and mounted a couple of the Panasonic 50" plasmas in our data center. No complaints so far.

-Skip

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you will be displaying an image with a large amount of static content (like an openview network map for example) Id go for a front projector instead of a plasma.

- pink

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There will be lots of static stuff showing and the threat of burn-in is probably real in this case. Of course, running a projects 24x7 is going to burn through a lot of expensive bulbs. What's the feeling here on large LCD panels for this kind of use?

·
Registered
850 Posts
I wouldn't get a front projector for the sole purpose of preventing burn in - they suffer from that as well (at least LCD projectors).

·
Registered
542 Posts
Front DLP projection or Flat panel LCD for your app. I have done noc centers before and your plasma will be burned within a week.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
What large LCD? They come no bigger than 40" from NEC/Mitsubishi or Samsung. Those are the two biggest choices.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pharris: Is plasma burn-in really only going to take a week? What about the short DLP bulb life? Might we be spending a lot of money to keep the light shining? Is it enough money to replace plasmas every year?

rogo: I researched larger LCD panels after posting that and noticed the lack of large product. Are any manufacturers claiming that they'll have large (50-ish inch) LCD panels out by March 2004?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I don't think you will see the 50+" that soon. The 46" panels should be out by then barring unforeseen production delays.

If you search on the username cmr and the word Samsung, you should fine a likely very good guess on the dates of the 52" panel.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ksb
pharris: Is plasma burn-in really only going to take a week? What about the short DLP bulb life? Might we be spending a lot of money to keep the light shining? Is it enough money to replace plasmas every year?

rogo: I researched larger LCD panels after posting that and noticed the lack of large product. Are any manufacturers claiming that they'll have large (50-ish inch) LCD panels out by March 2004?
If it is a static image it could be sooner than that depending on the brand plasma. Usually you can put a white screen up to help undo the damage but then you reduce the overall image intensity over time. Also, plasma phosphor in about 2 years can diminish to 50% of its original light output. Read the specs for the different brands and if you go the plasma route then make certain you keep the intensity down to save the life and prevent burn in. Keep the lights low in the area so you can keep the plasma level low. As for bulbs you will need about 4 bulbs per year assuming it lasts for 2000 hours. Look at the cost of the plasma vs the cost of a proj and assume the plasma will need to be replaced in 2 years. Add the cost of 8 bulbs to the cost of the proj and see if it is worth it.

If it is a high profile NOC center you might be able to get your hands on one of the larger LCD units because they love the publicity if you allow them to brag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.