AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a bookshelf and cabinet 2 years back for my home theater setup. Now I realize I did not allow enough space for all the components I need.

I have to fit an A/V receiver in to 6" slot or;

-Build low profile HTPC

-Cut out a beautiful piece of molding.

I have selected the Onkyo 606, but then today I saw a Sherwood RD 7502 7.1 A/V receiver, with HDMI input switching that is 5.5 " high. It is even cheaper at $268.

Problem is I don't know much about it nor do I really understand what all the fetchers mean anyway. I know the Onkyo will work because I have followed post here and else where that say it is GREAT. I have never seen anything about the Sherwood. The height and price are great but what about the rest of the package?

Anyone know anything about it? Parts Express has it for sale.

Thanks for any help,

Bob

·
Registered
606 Posts
Some receivers run hot, especially Onkyo. Almost all are going to recommend at least 4" of space around the sides and top which means no matter what you get you are going to have clearance issues.

The Yamaha 363 is only 5 5/16", one of the flattest I could find other than the Sherwoods. Even at 5" I don't think that is enough clearance and you could be looking at future problems if you don't find a way to keep the receiver cool.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have set it up for fans. Also that molding covers a 2 inch void over where the receiver will be.

Does not look like the Yamaha 363 has HDMI switching.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does. I miss that.

How would it compare with the Onyko 506? 506 has 7.1 but I think there is a problem with an input from my HTPC, so I don't understand if I am really missing anything. I may never have a suitable input from the HTPC. As I understand it, the 506 HDMI connection does not carry sound. You must use sp/dif for that, which is limited to 5.1

I also have built a pair of MTM speakers and they are 4 ohm. I can get away with 2 of them playing low, but I am realizing that is about all. I would have to go to all 8ohm if I went to 7.1 surround.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
If the molding covers a 2" void, could you load the receiver from the back or remove and reattach the molding once the receiver is in? That would open up alot of other options. Also, you could remove the feet from whatever receiver you chose, giving you another 1/4" - 1/2" depending on the model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts