AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to decide on screen size, anyone have this set up?...

room size: 9'H x 13.8'W x 22.5'L with very little ambient light.

viewing distance row 1: 11.25', row 2: 17.6'

projector: Sony Plack Pearl (VW60 ~ 900 Lumens), will use anamorphic lens & 2.37:1.

set up for 13'-4" throw... some flexability.

what is the ultimate screen size? 1.5 gain?

not TOO big (papa bear), not too little (baby bear)... but juuuuuuust right! Is the throw sufficient?, how little can I move back w/o messing up.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
How does a 150" (diagonal) Scope screen sound? The image height should be about 1450mm and the width 3436mm or about 57" high and 135" wide. I have personly seen the SONY VW60 light this size screen.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
I've got a 110" wide SMX (material) screen at almost exactly the same viewing distances and it's quite nice. It's not too big, nor too small. Only difference is your room is about 2' wider than mine, so it might "feel" smaller in your room due to the room on the sides.

135" wide would be about 1x screen widths for the front row which could be very cool, or too big depending on your tastes. You might want to experiment with the size if you can and see what you like. And I think unless you're going with a screen with decent gain, you might want to cheat smaller, IIRC the VW60 isn't one of the brightest machines out there (though no slouch either)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. 135" seems like a monster... although, i went with an average fit for the last HT and was wishing i went oversize within about a month of viewing. Had a 16:9 110" diag (no A-lans) and the new room is almost 1.5' wider. Old screen width = 96"... another 40"?? that's a huge step. The biggest i can go for room size is 130" so as not to encroach on the bass traps i will build in the corners. I don't want to go so big as to lose quality (brightness & color)...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
My room and seating distances are is pretty darn close to yours. My room is 13'4" wide though the screen wall is flanked by a bump-out on each side which gives the screen wall a width of ~137 inches. My first row is just under 11' from the screen and the second row is approximately 17.5'.

I went with a 129" wide (140" diag) SMX 2.37:1 screen (1.16 gain, acoustically transparent). With frame, it comes in at 136" wide. The 16:9 area on this screen is 111" diag. I couldn't be happier with the size of the screen.

I am using a Panasonic AE3000 (no lens) from about a 17' throw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.