AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying an open box HD100 from a local store and it has no manual.

Might anyone know where I could locate a manual online?

I've seen on Sony's website that I can buy one from them for $7.50, and will if that's my only option...until then though, any ideas?

Thanks kindly,

Tom

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If you only paid $299 for the HD100 why not just pay Sony a few $$$ for the manual. This would be a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks aweitzner...probably not going to buy the Sony after all...even though I'm using it for OTA only Tweeter tells me that I have a $150 fee I have to pay Directv if I don't subscribe to their service withing 30 days.

I know $299 is a great deal for this box, add $150 to that, plus $50 or more for the remote that is missing....its adding up.

My whole point of buying something open or used was to save money.

At this point I might try for the Samsung SIR T150 maybe from ABT Electronics. They have it for $499 minus the $100 rebate from Samsung. I think $400 for that box is a good deal.

My neighbor belongs to a buying club that works with ABT...he says he'll give them a call and see what they can do for him at club price. I'm wondering if the rebate will still be available if the product is bought through the club.

Thanks all...

Tom

·
Registered
704 Posts
Tom, I believe the $150 fee is a bluff. I was told the same thing when I bought my HD100 reciever. I finally hooked up my receiver at 60 days with no problem. When I called to activate my receiver, I asked DirecTV about the fee. They said that eventually they would have called and reminded me to hook the receiver up, but they would never have charged me the $150 out of the blue, without notifying me first. Of course I had been a DirecTV customer for a long time, I don't know whether that made a difference or not.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Jim: thanks for the groups weblink--I'm going to check it out.

Keith: I think the fact that you *were* a DTV customer and now *are* a DTV customer had a *lot* to do with it; there would eventually been a charge-back via the dealer that sold him the box (although maybe not $150) if he never subscribed to DTV.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply Keith...as to what Stanton mentioned about a dealer charge, my salesman told me that if he did not fill out the paperwork for Directv the store would be hit with a significant charge back from Directv (I thought he said $350).

I had originally suggested he not fill out the paperwork because it was a floor model I was buying...I mentioned that it would be no different than if I was buying it from my neighbor or on ebay...but he wouldn't go for it;(

I'm kind of in limbo in my thinking...it's still a real good deal for the unit even if I pay the $150. I've been going back and forth with myself for a day and a half now (pulling the trigger for me sometimes is tough;()

Thanks for the heads up on the manual Jim, heading over to check that out now.

Tom

·
Registered
346 Posts
Dont flame me if im wrong but I think the way it works at least in my case is the vendor I purchased the stb from is credited by D* at the rate of something like $21.99 a month for a year which is the length of my commitment to D*. If I break my commitment the vendor is pro-rated at the amount of $21.99 per month for the remaining months left who will in turn charge my credit card for the amount. Reason why most stores require a credit card at time of purchase.So what you need to do is pay cash with no paper trail leading back to you.

Chris

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That might very well be the case Chris, the numbers are at least in the ballpark with what I was told. That logic does make sense too.

Strangely enough, I'm now leaning back towards getting that Sony box and subscribing to Directv with an HBO only package (I read you get HDNet with this package). I heard that package is around $10 or $12 per month.

At that rate, I could keep my cable and drop HBO from it, the cost would probably be a wash.

I have to look closer at Directv now and see if I package similiar to this is available.

Thanks

Tom

BTW...you'd not see a flame from me in any case, thanks for the input...I read it all and use what I can of it;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.