AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am looking for a replacement for my WDTV Live SMP. My main requirements are great 1080p output, HD audio pass through (both dts-HD & Dolby True HD), local playback from USB drive and a smooth responsive interface. Is there anything out there for under $200 that can match or exceed the WDTV? Been contemplating the Matricom G Box Q, but not sure if it can do what I need.

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Hello all, I am looking for a replacement for my WDTV Live SMP. My main requirements are great 1080p output, HD audio pass through (both dts-HD & Dolby True HD), local playback from USB drive and a smooth responsive interface. Is there anything out there for under $200 that can match or exceed the WDTV? Been contemplating the Matricom G Box Q, but not sure if it can do what I need.
No -- unless you need 3D, there is nothing that touches the Live-SMP in the under $150 price range. You can certainly pay more for less or not much more.

If you just want the latest hot player a lot of people have jumped on, then go the Kodi on Chromebox route.

You can preview Kodi before investing in the ChomeBox hardware by installing it on your PC to get a feel for the interface.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ever consider the HP Stream Mini?

Even though it's not a "media box", it sure hits nearly everything I look for. Does HD audio, has a very slick interface (Through Kodi), can access both USB hard drives and NAS drives. Plus, with Kodi, you can install add-ons to further increase your viewing options, and because it's also a Windows 8.1 computer, you then have access to Netflix and anything that can be viewed with a browser.

It's not 100% "plug and play" like some systems, but with (some) work (I'm talking like 15 minutes..almost nothing), then it's as close as you can get to the "One Box To Rule Them All"

·
Registered
128 Posts
Kodi on chromebox or even Raspberry Pi 2 way exceeds WDTV live SMP from what I heard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts