AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a dvd player that can play divx and perhaps even dvd formatted folders from a hard drive or network. It would be nice if it could upscale over component for my older TV, but not critical. I am currently using a liteon LVD-2001 which does upscale over component but I could live without it.

My primary want is to be able to have immediate access to multiple kids shows, Disney dvd's etc in a simple to use process.

I am researching the Pioneer 400v, the Philips 5982, Oppo 980. I haven't read anything about the Samsung yet. I also just recently added the Liteon HD-A740GX to the list, which is a recorder with a built in hd though I care nothing about the recording capabilities.

In general, what would be some of the more cost effective solutions for a "media server" in my den that is wife and kid friendly? I have already setup an HTPC in another room, and it is just too unreliable for my needs in this area. So, either a dvd player with a built in hard drive, or perhaps one the capabilities to access an external drive. I notice that some of the dvd recorders have a firewire port to record from a camcorder, but I dunno if you can play divx or xvid or even use a hard drive from them. Also, perhaps there is a media server device that isn't a dvd player?? How about something network enabled? Something wireless and something that could see NTFS formatted drives?

And in specific, model #'s to look at? Are there even still dvd players that upscale over component? I know back in the day there were several options to choose from for that even though it violated some sort of standard. But, at that time HDMI didn't even exist or at least was in it's infancy.

My budget for this project is 50 to 350 dollars. Note, I do have an external drive that I could use, but would probably still buy another. However, don't include that in the budget.

I sure appreciate any possible help!

VegasF6

Edit: I guess media server isn't really the right term, what I am really looking for is the media receiver end of it, I dunno what to call that end of it.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This might not be the right place to ask, but if I go with the oppo, does anyone know of an external hard drive that would power down when the oppo is off? I have seen some for PC's this way, when the PC goes into hibernate the HD will stand by. I would assume that when the Oppo is "off" that there is no power to the USB ports. Perhaps I should consider a 2.5" external and power it from USB, but that would be an extra expense.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
PS3 does all that you need and much, much more

Oppo 980HD is NOT a network capable DVD player but will support DivX and USB drives (external power needed or has to be small thumb drives).

PS3 is one of the rare beast that will support DivX-HD (besides HTPC, LinkPlayer, Zensonic, Buffalo, etc.)

The only device that will recognize NTFS would be an HTPC as it's a Windoze proprietary format. Everyone else needs FAT32 formatted by Swissknife or similar software. I'm using a Lacie 500gb USB2.0 HD on my PS3 full of DivX movies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts