Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this questions but here goes.

I have a Sony DVP-NS900V DVD player. It only has one component output. I am using a Denon AVR-3802 surround receiver. This only has one component output. I would like to drive both my Toshiba TDP-MT8U and my Phillips 34PW9818.

Should I use a component splitter or switcher. Which one is better and what are the relavent costs. Any brand recommendations?

My alturnative is to drive the TV with S-Video 480i and let the TV scaler change to 480p or pixel plus??

Thanks to any one who might have some experience on this issue.

Robert

·
Registered
58 Posts
Probably overkill for your situation, but this switcher has two sets of outputs and tons of inputs and does digital audio switching as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JustPatrick
Probably overkill for your situation, but this switcher has two sets of outputs and tons of inputs and does digital audio switching as well.
Thanks. Yea a little over kill. Just need to split my component coming out of the DVD. Short run to the AV input less than a meter and a shot run to the TV less than 2 meters. Other wise all my other connections are covered.

Robert

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
But what if you need the three or four inputs, but you have two HD devices such as a direct view TV AND a projector? I'd like to see a box with 4 in and 2 out. I don't need both out simultaneously. I think we are okay for now using our RGBHV and component IN on the pj, and not having a HD capable TV yet, but that will soon change...

Our cable HD box will have both RGBHV and component out - so the RGBHV goes directly to the projector, and the HDTV gets the component. DVD player, 1 component out we can switch the DVD through the receiver to either PJ or TV. But if we get a HD deck, such as DVHS or someday the HD-DVD, that's when I see trouble. Then I may wish we had waited for the HK 7200 with higher video bandwidth...

I'm waiting for that 4 IN, 2 OUT switcher...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dawn,

I think you have an increasingly common problem. Most receivers have 2-3 CV in, 1 CV out. Sunfire is the only one I know of that has 2 CV out.

For now, you could use the Inday dist amp mentioned above on the output of your Denon 3802. At least that way you'd have 2 CV in, 2 (upto 4) CV out. You're limited on the input side by the Denon 3802.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Thanks, Paul.

I actually have the H/K AVR 8000, with 3 component IN and 1 OUT. But the video bandwidth is 30 mHz. We'll cross the bridge when we come to it. Perhaps we won't see a degradation in HD quality, and can use the 8000's 3 IN and 1 OUT with the Inday's 1 IN and 4 OUT to make all the connections we need. But the 30 mHz is the limiter. We'll see what happens. We can still hook the HD cable box directly to the pj and the TV, the PJ still has a component IN for the DVD player, but that can route through the HK and go into the TV (must make sure that has several IN slots available), I guess it just gets to be a problem when that non-existent HD-DVD or D-VHS deck gets added into it. Maybe the HK can handle it. Maybe by then Inday will make a 2 OUT. Maybe we'll just forget it... Nah. Definitely on the backburner now. Of course, we can always do the manual cable switching... :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesH
Perhaps this one is closer to what you're looking for: http://www.inday.com/?KeohiHDTV

CharlesH.

Thank you for your recommendation. It looks like the InDay HDDA-1 splitter will work fine for my application. I am currently using the Samsung Direct TV SIR-TS160. I have the output switched to enable the DVI / HDCP and the RGB outputs instead of CV. I am driving the PJ with the DVI output and the Philips HDTV with the RBG output. The splitter will allow me to take the the CV output from the DVD player and drive the CV inputs of both the PJ and the HDTV. As the PJ and the TV are both in the same room it will be nice for comparison sake to watch both at the same time. Thanks again!!!! I will let you know how it works after I get it setup.

Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.