AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently my scaler has only 1 SDI input, which has me worried. Some of the other scalers on the market have multiple SDI inputs, I don't want to be left out in the cold if and when SDI takes off. So I did some research. At this point, if you don't know, you can buy an external switch box that can allow you the ability to add as many SDI devices as you like, 5 or more from the ones I have seen. But, an external switch box is a pain in the ass, an option but, I want something easier. Called up a company called KING, they make all of these fancy adapters and custom jobbies. They make a 75ohm, BNC male to 2 BNC female adapter that converts a single SDI input into 2 SDI inputs, no switch box no problems. Your scaler SHOULD have no problem accepting SDI from either end of the splitter adapter provided only one SDI signal is being sent at a time. What I mean is that if you have an SDI equipped DVD player and an SDI equipped DTV box, only turn on ONE of the two components at a time, the one you want to watch. Turn off the one not in use and now we have 2 SDI inputs. Sounds like a good solution, you can only watch on source at a time anyway, so who cares if one component has to be turned off? My DVD player is off as I write this. Anyway, that's my finding. For now I know of no one with 2 SDI sources but, in the future, it is something to consider.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Hi Ericbee,I to have been searching for an SDI switcher.I did a netscape search on king and found 6000 matches! Could you provide a link to this company.Also have you looked at the flag scene with your Leeza with the SDI input and if so did you see any improvements w/SDI ?

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are sold by a company called HAVE. The address is www.haveinc.com

They also carry another brand that sells the same thing from CONIX.

These aren't switchers these are the adapters. I believe Extron sells the switchers.

I did happen to retest VE with DVI..no improvement in deinterlacing, still plenty of jaggies on the flag scene. The DVI connection does many things well and improves on a lot but, it does not effect the deinterlacing

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Ericbee,

Why would DVI have anything to do with deinterlacing?

DVI and SDI only reduce analog noise in the input and output stages. They won't resolve any deinterlacing issues - those are introduced by the deinterlacing process.

They also won't reduce MPEG artifacts (macroblocks) or make your coffee for you :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.