AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10yr.old sony str-av1020 has line in, input problems ( video 1,2, cd, dat NG). Phono input works fine . I don't think it's worth putting money into. One feature I really love is the DRLC function, multi room / multi source extented external dongle + remote, no additional amp required! Newer receivers offer much more in both features and sound quality, but if my sony wasn't on the rocks I'd live with it. I'm looking for a new receiver to input cable hdtv on rptv component vid. 1. dvd and HI-DEF htpc to share receivers component input/output switcher, on rptv component vid. 2. (only 2 component ins on rptv). Other inputs needed, vcr on rptv (rear) input vid. 3, audio ins for dual cassett deck,cd, and phono. I'd also like digital audio inputs for htpc and dvd. A similar setup like the sony's DRLC would be great. Please recommend receivers that meet the above specs. Also all bells and whistle audio short of THX cert. would be great. 6.1 or 7.1 and sufficent rms to place in a 17' x 23' room. thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Stay away from hk 630 and perhaps the whole HK line. They sound rather limp. Lacks punch or clarity in high frequencies.

What's your budget?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looking for unit that retails in stores for about 600.00 and then paying less online or at a local retailer through a friends brother.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by beboram
Stay away from hk 630 and perhaps the whole HK line. They sound rather limp. Lacks punch or clarity in high frequencies.

What's your budget?
Having owned two h/k's, a couple yamahas, sony, marantz and a kenwood all in the last eight years... I would have to say you are wrong with your above statement. Though the 630 isn't one that I've heard in person yet.

Both of my h/k's have had more punch than anything else I've owned.

As far as lacking clarity in the high frequencies,, only the Marantz has been better.

At this point in time I'd have to suggest h/k over anything else under $1000 (for home theater) and Marantz for lower volume music listening.

edit: actually even at medium-high volumes the marantz was better for music. but still not for home theater.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spp1112
looking for unit that retails in stores for about 600.00 and then paying less online or at a local retailer through a friends brother.
What speakers will you be using it with??

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bose acoustimass 5 series III, AR powered center, radio shack optimus rear surround. Probably will have to get unpowered center, and add powered, second, subwoofer. additional speakers to add down the road.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
I haven't spent any time listening to those speakers and don't know what they sound like. But I'd have to guess they are fairly efficient by their intended design/marketing intentions. So you may not need a powerhouse of a receiver.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an Acoustimas 10 series II (currently looking to upgrade). My Sony also recently bit the dust. I replaced it with a ONKYO 601 for $400 shipped from an on-line retailer. This unit has the standard features including HI-DEF caliber video switching and two room, different sound field ability. I've had the unit for about two weeks and IMHO it's great. Good luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just checked out onkyo 601 and i liked what I read. crutchfield has it for 449.00 shipped. Is this a good price?

·
Registered
265 Posts
J and R has it for $429 shipped (unless you have to pay NY sales tax). Probably worth a call to 6th Ave. as well. They have $499 posted on their web-site, but a call I made to them about a Denon receiver resulted in a price of 1/3rd off of list without really asking for a discount. Actually I called about the Denon 1603 and was told they no longer had it, but that they would sell me the 1604 for the same price.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Hopefully, most readers will take comments like this with a grain of salt. Just because H/K may not soung good for one user, does not mean that the whole world should avoid buying H/K.

My advice to any purchaser is to purchase a receiver that sounds right for you and your situation - and a receiver that does what you need it to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.