AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a Sanyo Z2 projector. Was using a Momitsu V880 with DVI but it always seemed out of focus to me. Just for kicks, I ran an old Toshiba dvd player thru my Yamaha Z9 via component to see if the DCDI upconversion in it could do a better job than the Momitsu. I am getting a much better picture now with the Z9 and old component cables.

My question is:

Should I upgrade to the new Yamaha S2500 dvd player when it comes available, or would that be a waste of money since the Z9 is doing a good job upconverting from a cheap dvd player?

I could connect the S2500 to the Z2 with and HDMI/DVI cable to get the advantage of an upconverted signal that doesn't go thru any digital to analog to digital conversion.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I'll looking to buy an H/K 7300 which has the upconverting (to use with my Denon 2900). Either that or drop the cash on a Denon 3910.

Can I persuade you to buy a Denon 3910 (and do the comparison: Component vs. DVI/HDMI) on your Z9? Just hoping...

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 3910 looks like a great machine... I am actually probably going to get the Yamaha S2500 so that I can pass the audio thru the Z9 via IEEE.

I was seriously considering a 3910 but Denon has made there IEEE connection propriatory (spelling?), and I am not willing to throw away the Z9 just yet.

The Denon 5805 looks like the beast I would want (I am using their old flagship 5700 and I really like the way it sounds).

Unfortunately, they don't pay us humble janitors enough to get the best of the best.

I am also considering building an HTPC, but don't know if I want to be constantly tweeking for the best picture.

·
23,039 Posts
Quote:
I was seriously considering a 3910 but Denon has made there IEEE connection propriatory (spelling?), and I am not willing to throw away the Z9 just yet.
This is not correct. The IEEE 1394 output on the 3910 works just fine into a IEEE 1394 (i.Link) input on such equipped components. DenonLink is proprietary and is another transport entirely. The 3910 has both outputs - i.Link and DenonLink. You shouldn't have to throw away your Z9 just yet. :)

larry

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, my salesman sure missed an easy sale on that one!!

Do you have a 3910 using the IEEE output? Cause if you are, I'm going to have to reconsider the 3910 because I would like to use the dvi instead of an HDMI/DVI conversion cable (to avoid loss of black level or whatever).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.