AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does this setup look? I don't want to break the bank, just want something to replace the onkyo htib 7.1 speakers that came with my 605. I will be keeping the stock sub for now.

·
Registered
707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymanhb /forum/post/19562109

How does this setup look? I don't want to break the bank, just want something to replace the onkyo htib 7.1 speakers that came with my 605. I will be keeping the stock sub for now.

Looks good to me. CS10 technically isn't from the same product line as the others you've chosen ... you should look at the CS1 or CS2. Others might disagree and say get the CS10 ... and realistically it probably matches to the Monitor 60 equally as well ... but CS1 and CS2 are other options to consider.

I have Monitor 60, Monitor 30, and a CS2 in my 5.0 setup (apartment ... noise/neighbor factor is a concern so I don't use a sub). Driven by a Harmon Kardon AVR-254 which I love (50w x 5ch or 75w x 2ch)

I'm very happy with my decision to buy a CS2 instead of a CS1. Even though the CS1 has the same drivers as the rest of my setup, the CS2 matches very nicely, and I think the extra capability of the larger drivers is important in a center... (the center is arguably the most important speaker in a home theater).

Monitor 40s are big for surrounds, but if you want to go for it, go for it. Personally, I think the 40s would be great as bookshelf mains, but might be overkill as surrounds. But I don't want to discourage you. Hell, if you really want to go big get Monitor 70s all around

My 30s as rears are excellent, and they're everything I wanted. I don't ever wish I bought the 40s instead.

But, if you're swaying between Monitor 70s and 60s as your mains, you might as well buy 70s (assuming you have a receiver that can drive them well). I went back and forth myself and ultimately bought the 60s. I regretted that decision for a while, thinking I should have bought the 70s. However, these 60s have aged very nicely over the past year and now I'm completely satisfied. They can get very loud if I push them, with no distortion. At this point I have no regrets over choosing the 60s over the 70s.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...yeah I'm going to switch to the CS2 for the larger drivers. I was concerned about the surrounds being too big as I'm not sure where/how I'm going to mount them. I really want same full sound I would get from the 60's around me though. I don't know if my onkyo 605 will drive these well, much less 70's. It's rated at 90 watts/ch. I do plan on upgrading the sub and receiver eventually.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That should be a very nice set up all matching. If you can fit the other centers take a look at them too. I am a fan of having decent speakers in the surround possitions. Many people say that surrounds don't matter because there is not much coming from there but I find there is lots happening back there in modern mixes if you have speakers that can play it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! I feel much better about this. I can't wait to have decent sound! I'll have to re-watch the pacific BDs all over again.

One more question...My wife if sick of black, which is why I chose cherry. What can you tell me about the quality of cherry wood they use? Is it ikea-style particle board where if someone sets a drink on one, it will disintegrate?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymanhb /forum/post/19563239

Thanks for all the help guys! I feel much better about this. I can't wait to have decent sound! I'll have to re-watch the pacific BDs all over again.

One more question...My wife if sick of black, which is why I chose cherry. What can you tell me about the quality of cherry wood they use? Is it ikea-style particle board where if someone sets a drink on one, it will disintegrate?

Your receiver will drive any of the Polk line without issues. I think the general rule with these should be use them for what they are intended for as in not a cup holder

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
The Polk are great all around bang for the buck speakers (kind of the GM of the speaker world). Most of my rti Polks are 4 years old now and have been run hard but I still have my 12 year old Polks in my bonus room that sound like they were new.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I would suggest saving some cash if the Monitor 30's are cheaper than the 40's.

You wont notice any difference between the two for surround duty and the 30's come with a build in keymount saving you the cost of buying either stands or mounts for the 40's (which if you do would do the PinPoint AM40 mounts from Amazon).

Other than that you should very much enjoy the setup. I am running those exact speakers (I have the 40's but would do 30's if I had it to do all over again)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow /forum/post/19566358

I would suggest saving some cash if the Monitor 30's are cheaper than the 40's.

You wont notice any difference between the two for surround duty and the 30's come with a build in keymount saving you the cost of buying either stands or mounts for the 40's (which if you do would do the PinPoint AM40 mounts from Amazon).

Other than that you should very much enjoy the setup. I am running those exact speakers (I have the 40's but would do 30's if I had it to do all over again)

I just checked out your setup and I think the 40s look great on those mounts!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymanhb /forum/post/19567630

I just checked out your setup and I think the 40s look great on those mounts!

They do indeed, however the 30's would have been much easier since they have a built in mount and also are a smaller speaker.

Not that I am by any means unhappy w/ the 40's. I actually used them as my fronts in a bedroom setup I no longer have and used some R50's (also since sold) as my surrounds.

When we moved I no longer had the floorspace for the R50's so I moved them to the bedroom and the 40's downstairs.

If I was purchasing surrounds again I would go w/ the 30's as I said earlier. Either speaker will make you a happy man..

Enjoy the journey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts