AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So last night I turn my TV on and what I have been thinking should be happening soon did.....the lamp blew..no warning..just pop and that was it.

Ive been looking around for a replacement and its a bit intimidating honestly. There are so many different places and 90 percent of them, at least on Amazon, seem shady. There doesn't seem to be any way of verifying that what you getting is actually the OEM lamp, regardless of what they say even. I cant buy direct from sony either as they no longer make the lamp for my TV. So basically its 3rd party or nothing.

Anyone know if a reputable place to get a legit OEM lamp and housing for my TV? Preferably on amazon if at all possible as I have Prime, but the most important thing is its legit OEM. Lamp is an XL5200

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
So last night I turn my TV on and what I have been thinking should be happening soon did.....the lamp blew..no warning..just pop and that was it.

Ive been looking around for a replacement and its a bit intimidating honestly. There are so many different places and 90 percent of them, at least on Amazon, seem shady. There doesn't seem to be any way of verifying that what you getting is actually the OEM lamp, regardless of what they say even. I cant buy direct from sony either as they no longer make the lamp for my TV. So basically its 3rd party or nothing.

Anyone know if a reputable place to get a legit OEM lamp and housing for my TV? Preferably on amazon if at all possible as I have Prime, but the most important thing is its legit OEM. Lamp is an XL5200
I have no personal experience with them, but have seen a lot of positive posts from people who have.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsea...brands_select=Sony&tv_models=Sony+KDS-60A2020

·
Registered
15,382 Posts
Osram (Sylvania) lamps are perfectly fine. Every bit as good as Philips. There is also no need to replace the housing. Waste of money.

I've never bought lamps from ShopJimmy, but I have bought boards and other parts for other TVs from them. They are top notch.

I've gotten all my lamps from shady sources, and they've worked out fine. It's only a matter of time until your picture turns green or your ballast goes or some fan dies. The lamp is the least of your worries at this point. Best to minimize the cash you put into this TV.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Osram (Sylvania) lamps are perfectly fine. Every bit as good as Philips. There is also no need to replace the housing. Waste of money.

I've never bought lamps from ShopJimmy, but I have bought boards and other parts for other TVs from them. They are top notch.

I've gotten all my lamps from shady sources, and they've worked out fine. It's only a matter of time until your picture turns green or your ballast goes or some fan dies. The lamp is the least of your worries at this point. Best to minimize the cash you put into this TV.
There are many knock off lamps out there, and many posts on the forums about TV problems with them. You got lucky. These lamps are specifically designed for each chassis series, it's not like changing a light bulb, they are NOT all the same.

·
Registered
15,382 Posts
There are many knock off lamps out there, and many posts on the forums about TV problems with them. You got lucky. These lamps are specifically designed for each chassis series, it's not like changing a light bulb, they are NOT all the same.
Small risk. If I were that lucky (4 out of 4), I'd be in Vegas. A real Sony (Philips) lamp is $250 as posted above, same price as the whole TV on a good day. Sylvania has been making quality lamps, on spec, for as long as Philips has. If you don't get what you asked for, return it or dispute the charge. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point in your TV's life.

Philips is the OEM, so here's a good reliable source, from all accounts. Newegg has always treated me right.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA07900Z4247

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Small risk. If I were that lucky (4 out of 4), I'd be in Vegas. A real Sony (Philips) lamp is $250 as posted above, same price as the whole TV on a good day. Sylvania has been making quality lamps, on spec, for as long as Philips has. If you don't get what you asked for, return it or dispute the charge. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point in your TV's life.

Philips is the OEM, so here's a good reliable source, from all accounts. Newegg has always treated me right.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA07900Z4247
I've rolled four sevens in a row in Vegas numerous times. Four occurrences does not make a statistical data set, especially with the amount of lamps being sold each year.

In fact, since we're being anecdotal, adding your four successes to the estimated 100 or so posts I've read on the forums about knock off lamps, the failure rate would be about 96% Of course, that is still a subset of all the lamps being sold each year, but a sample of over a hundred is always more accurate than a sample of four. I'd say that is quite a risk.

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2012/08/20/consumer-alert-the-dangers-of-rptv-generic-lamps-2/

http://aaaateva.com/original-tv-lamps-vs-generic-dlp-bulbs/

http://aaaateva.com/original-tv-lamps-vs-generic-dlp-bulbs/

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're plenty of places selling the Phillips lamps which are said to be OE, so Im definitely not trying to buy a cheap knock off lamp if I can help it at least.

As fro the TV Im not sure if its ok...before the lamp went I was starting to see a green tint on the right half of the TV facing it....it was only visible certain times though....such as where there was a lot of white on the screen. It wasn't a blob perse....seemed to affect that whole half. Also it wasn't very prominent..honestly you wouldn't tell of you were looking for it, but once you see it..you see it.

Im hoping that it was maybe the bulb that was causing it and not my optical block finally going. Problem its about 80 bucks to find our for sure and its at least 800 bucks for a new TV...yes I know I can get a cheaper TV but I dont want an LCD so the next cheapest would be finding a decent plasma on clearance or used....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts