AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I loved my Dwin Transvision 4 but it bit the color wheel shattered last night while watching Boardwalk Empire. So I need a new pj and I've been out of the projector game for 5 years now. My Dwin was $5400 but after reviewing some specs I think I can get something that performs much better (at lat as far as the numbers go) for under $1000. So I'm thinking of three models:

BenQ W600

Optoma HD 66

Acre H5360

It will be used for sports, video games and the occasional movie. My Dwin was bright enough to do this at 1500 ANSI so these should be fine as far as brightness (if you believe the numbers) and 720p is good enough for me.

A specific concern is RBE - I got attached to DLP with my Dwin and I never saw rainbows with it, even when trying to. However as it was higher end projector when bought so could that be why? I keep seeing reports of RBE with the above three projectors and I think that would totally suck to end up seeing rainbows.

Any stock/availability concers on these three pjs? I hope to have the theater back up and running next week (and it would be great if I could have it running Friday).

What would it take to move up to a 3-DLP or solid state DLP? As I said I dig DLP, but I'm not to jazzed about colorwheels since mine just shattered 3 hours ago.

Thanks for any advice or reccomendations.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts
With Black Friday almost here, you should strongly consider the Epson 8350

It's a terriffic Gamer, 1080p 50K:1 Contrast 1080p w/Lens Shift and 2000 Lumens.

Priced today at $1099.00 at a few locations (Retail) and $1199.00 at Projector people and Visual Apex, both the latter will be doing 'sumpthin' for Black Friday.

HhGregg has 'em for low. BBuy too...sometimes.

Well worth checking out because the 8350 simply smokes anything in that price range, features & performance wise. The model you listed pale by comparison. No RBE to worry about either. Only thing missing is 3d capability, but with the 8350's stupendous image and no practical screen size limitations, 3d is not gonna make your day any significant amount better.

BTW, Epson is warranty-ing the Bulb for the life of the PJ warranty. You won't find that elsewhere fer sure!

MMan

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/19527140

BTW, Epson is warranty-ing the Bulb for the life of the PJ warranty. You won't find that elsewhere fer sure!

MMan

Where do you get that from? The local hhgreg and Epson website say 90 days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll jump in... Thanks for the recommendation on the Epson 8350 MM. I have a Sharp XV-Z2000 that I have had for about 4 or 5 years. I think the color wheel shattered a couple of nights ago and have been wringing my hands deciding what to do - repair or replace. The darn thing was $3,600 when I bought it, so I am not too keen to just toss it (principle, I guess). And I have two bulbs - one fairly new and one about half life. Don't really want to piss away that investment either, so I am thinking about repairing it. But...

That Epson sounds like a good projector for a very fair price. Sure is a shame that these several thousand $$$ projectors break and become throw away items.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Benq 8700 power supply fried. Combine the $400 - $500 to repair that, with the need for a new $350 bulb in the next year, and I too am at the point of having to re-enter the projector market after being set for 6 years. I appreciate the posts on the Epson, as that is one I spied at BB online. Do I have any DLP vs. LCD concerns? Doesn't sound like I should. Have Epson's proven to be reasonably reliable? And agreed with the poster that said it is hard to part with something that was pretty expensive and worked so well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, I am really upset that this happened after only a relatively short period of time. You would think for that kind of initial investment, which is no drop in the bucket, that they would at least support the product fairly. I checked and they do not manufacture the color wheel for my pj. So you are basically left hanging out there hoping your several thousand dollar pj doesn't fail. And if it does...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts