AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up some Vega MX400 speakers for a cheap price. I currently have a Sony 250w max receiver that wont do the job. I am scared of hooking my receiver to these speakers because the speakers are rated at 4ohms and my receiver is rated at 8ohms. I honestly, dont know enough as to weather this will hurt the speakers or not... But I know that my current receiver can MAYBE put out 50wpeak per channel...

Any help on a receiver that will actually push these speakers properly and not break the bank?

Oh, im fine with a 2 channel setup if thats an option.

MX-400 Specifications

DESCRIPTION: 15” 3-WAY LOUDSPEAKER

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 30Hz – 20 kHz (+/- 3dB)

POWER HANDLING: 400 Watts RMS

SENSITIVITY: 107 dB (1 Watt @ 1 Meter)

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 4 Ohms

LF DRIVER: MXW15 15” Diecast Frame/2” Voice-coil

MF DRIVER: CM6 6” Cone

HF DRIVER: CS5 1” Voice-coil Horn Tweeter

PROTECTION: Self-resetting circuit breaker (tweeter)

DIMENSIONS: 36”(h) X 17.5”(w) X 19.5”(d)

CIRCA: 1992- 1997

WEIGHT: 90 lbs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Did you pick those up in rochester ? I seen them on cl yesterday . Look for a used qsc or behringer power amplifier if you want to ge the most output. Be careful with that sony, the cv's might fry it if you push them to hard.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using a STR-DG820 if that helps any...

Nope, I am located in Alaska.

What are CV's?

Sorry, I am new to the audio game.

·
Registered
28,780 Posts
CV's are Cerwin Vega speakers

The STRDG820 cant handle 4 ohm loads.

There a plenty of 2 channel receivers that could drive those speakers, what's the budget?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No more than $500....?

I just bought a house and I am remodeling, so I am trying to get my 2 speakers that I got for a deal to work on the cheap because this remodel is costing me a fortune.

I would like 2 channel...

Inputs...

HDMI in for blueray

HDMI for Xbox 360

5 Analog connector for Wii

If I was going just Audio, and not video I would just buy a cheap 1970's year marantz on CL for like $150.

·
Registered
28,780 Posts
I don't think you'll find a 2 channel receiver with HDMI inputs. You need a A/V receiver which will be at least 5.1 and probably 7.1. It can be used for 2.0 though.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, so 2 channel receiver is just Audio?

If thats the case, I will just buy a vintage receiver....

Is there a 5.1 receiver that will do 4ohms at the a decent RMS wattage rating for my price range?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, i just met with a guy and purchased a vintage Kenwood KR-7050. Holy HELL!!!

I cranked it up to the second dial and my house was shaking... I walked outside across the street and I could hear my music across the way. I can't even imagine cranking it up more... Which I know they will do. Im just scared. I really wish I had about an acre lot so I could really test these babies out...

I purchased the 2 speakers and the receiver all under $300. Talk about a steal. I had over $1000 invested in my last setup and its no where near the quality as this vintage stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts