Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new remote controls (& a gadget or two)! I have the following equipment:
  • - - - Items in the Den - - -
  • two ReplayTV 3060 models (upgraded with 120GB hard drives)

- I'm currently using the alternate on/off - off/on method of controlling the two (with drive spindown disabled).
  • a Sony DVP CX870D 300-disc DVD changer
  • a Sampo DVE 631CF DVD player
  • a Sony SLV 795 VHS recorder
  • a Sony SB V55A A/V signal switch (4-in, 1-out, auto-sensing)
  • a Sony 32" television
  • - - - Items in the Office - - -
  • a Sony DVP S500D DVD player
  • a Sony SLV 795 VHS recorder
  • a Sony SB V55A A/V signal switch (4-in, 1-out, auto-sensing)
  • a Sony 20" television

My questions are these:
  1. I'm looking for two identical remotes which can control all these devices (obviously need to be set up somewhat differently but need to operate essentially identically) - Is the OFA 8811 my best choice?
  2. I need a way to send the A/V signal from the den to the office. Is something like the Terk "Leap Frog" LF 20 xmit/rcvr 2.4GHz system any good? Is there something better that operates similarly?
  3. And, finally, I need an easy way to control the den equipment from the office. Will the X 10 "Powermid" remote control gadgets work? Is there a better way?[/list=1]I appreciate any suggestions any of you might have

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
If you want to control the two Replays independantly, your best bet is getting a JP1 compatible remote, which will allow you to create seperate codes for each. JP1 remotes are most Radio Shack and One For All remotes, the RS 15-2104 is $19 and the OFA URC-8811 is about $25.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I bought a pair of OFA URC-8811 remote controls (although I probably should have purchased the 9910 RF model) and a JP1 connector cable. I've downloaded the IR.exe program and the MS Excel spreadsheet from the Yahoo JP1 group. I've read the instruction & help files. And I am totally confused.

Is there an Idiot's Guide to JP1 programming along with cheat sheets for each of the devices I want to control?

I'm totally overwhelmed. Suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
1. Logon to the JP1 Yahoo web site.

2. Go to the PVR section of the "Device Codes" folder.

3. Download the ReplayTV file

4. Open the file using the LOAD button in the KM spreadsheet.

5. Change the selected remote to URC-8811 and make any changes that you like to the button assignments in the Buttons sheet.

6. Enter '1' in the "Unit Code" cell in the Setup sheet and assign a setup code, let's call this VCR/2001.

7. Fire up IR.exe, hook up the first URC-8811 to the JP1 cable and download the memory.

8. Cut & paste the code blocks from KM to IR, assign the VCR/2001 code to the device button of your choice and re-load.

9. Now hook up the second URC-8811 (or continue with the one remote).

10. Go back to KM and change the unit code to "2" and change the setup code, let's call it VCR/2002

11. Go back to IR.exe and paste in the code, etc

Continue this process for as many units that you have. You can load all of these codes into the one remote if you like or into multiple remotes, it depends on whether you want the one remote to control all of the Replay units, or if you want a different remote for each unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.