AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I bought Onair HDTV-GT after reading good reviews hoping it would work with QAM under Vista Ultimate x64 & with VMC. Didn't realize til reading through various forum posts the difficulty of watching QAM channels under VMC, or that Onair is working towards resolution, but currently has no solution. The device works beautifully under XP Pro, but my preference is Vista Ultimate x64.

Have a few questions:

I've narrowed search down to Hauppauge 2250, AverTV Combo PCI, HDHomerun and Visiontek HD 650, but please feel free to make another recommendation.

Price aside, any opinions as to which device/card will be most hassle free under VMC (with TV Pack), and which vendor supplies best TV viewer application, if I want to operate outside of VMC, that is Vista x64 compatible.

I want to, if possible, avoid registry tweaks, hours of frustration, etc. by benefiting from anyone with similar experience on this forum. Do any of the cards/devices mentioned above currently support QAM under VMC with TV Pack right out of the box?

Thanks in advance, Fred

Hardware:

Dell Vostro 400, E6850, 6GB RAM

GeForce 8600 256MB RAM.

Vista Ultimate x64. TV Pack installed on VMC.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Not specifically the question you were looking for--but I can tell you that I just put in a Aver PCIe card and it did wonders for my OTA signal over (multipath problems before)

Sorry I can't help you with the QAM question though.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I've had the AVerMedia PCIe Combo (M780) for over a year and it's been rock solid under Vista x64 with 4GB. They added QAM support about a year ago, but the configuration was a real pain the ass, especially to get the Guide to work. But it did work as advertised; it just wasn't pleasant to set up. But when TV Pack was released QAM setup became as easy to setup as OTA. It's been perfect.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
After reading reviews, I ordered the AVerMedia PCIe Combo (M780).

After reviewing further, I think you also might want to consider the Hauppage 2250; it has the advantage of being dual-channel so you can simultaneously watch and record on both the digital channels or watch/record on the analog channels. Reviews of this also seem to be favorable. Given the added flexibility of the Hauppage 2250, I may also order one and return my AverMedia PCIe Combo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.