AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

A tweet on one of my Thiel CS-1's went, now, instead of sending it back to Thiel, paying shipping both ways +40 for the rebuild, cant I order one of these Vifa tweeters from Parts express? The number on the tweeter is D25TG-85, 6 (ohm symbol) 403.

Would there possibly be a better tweeter I could order from PE and jsut replace both tweets?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by combos99 /forum/post/15558801

hi guys,

a tweet on one of my thiel cs-1's went, now, instead of sending it back to thiel, paying shipping both ways +40 for the rebuild, cant i order one of these vifa tweeters from parts express? The number on the tweeter is d25tg-85, 6 (ohm symbol) 403.

Would there possibly be a better tweeter i could order from pe and jsut replace both tweets?

ask thiel!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did ask Thiel, they told me that it would be me paying shipping both ways and they would rebuild the tweeter for $40.

All im wondering is if there is a tweeter(s) I could purchase that might be an upgrade? Or a suitable replacement?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Without knowing the specs or model of the existing tweeter, anything chosen would be a shot in the dark. Tweeters are a little more swappable than midranges, but there's still a chance of poor power handling and an off balanced high freq. response. For $40 for new voice coils, i'd let Theil fix it unless you know the model # and T/S Parameters.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by combos99 /forum/post/15559503

I did ask Thiel, they told me that it would be me paying shipping both ways and they would rebuild the tweeter for $40.

All im wondering is if there is a tweeter(s) I could purchase that might be an upgrade? Or a suitable replacement?

Why would you want to modify or upgrade it, or do anything other than fix it back to it's normal condition?

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Don't think it's made anymore & maybe the folks over at Madisound can help with sourcing or possible replacements hence the reason Thiel proposes a rebuild. Sure the tweeter is blown and not a bad connection?

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
If the exact tweeter is no longer available, and Theil is willing to rebuild the damaged tweeter, that's the only route you have. Those are nice speakers, and unlike the other current thread about blown Sony tweeters, the speaker warrants a correct repair back to factory specs. It's your only option unless you wish to outsmart yourself. I would send the entire speaker back in case a faulty crossover caused the damage, in which case, you'll toast the new tweeter in the first milisecond of play.

Tough love, man.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah well,

I talked to Madisound, and came out with what they thought would work.

D27TG-35, I found two for super cheap and thats what im going with, money is an issue right now, so I really dont have another choice.

What makes you think that the new tweeters will blow? The resistance matches up, thats about the only place my nooby self could see there being a problem.

Thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by combos99 /forum/post/15562370

Ah well,

I talked to Madisound, and came out with what they thought would work.

D27TG-35, I found two for super cheap and thats what im going with, money is an issue right now, so I really dont have another choice.

What makes you think that the new tweeters will blow? The resistance matches up, thats about the only place my nooby self could see there being a problem.

Thanks for all the help guys

You are "off track" .

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/15562127

I would send the entire speaker back in case a faulty crossover caused the damage, in which case, you'll toast the new tweeter in the first milisecond of play.

Excellent point that should not be overlooked.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/15562471

Excellent point that should not be overlooked.
Yeah, about that....

They are great speakers, and up until a few days ago, I was going to let them sit in the basement for who knows how long. Instead, I might as well drop in some tweets in and get something out of them (Hopefully not smoke *snicker*).

If they blow, Oh freakin well, lesson learned.

I really do appreciate all the advice guys, its not falling on deaf ears in the least bit. Im working with the best I have right now, and hoping it will turn out for the better.

Either way, I will let you know how my little adventure turned out.

Get ready to say "I told you so"

·
Banned
534 Posts
You can try installing the one good you have, into other speaker and see if it blows. If it does, at the least, you won't end up with two 'mismatched' tweeters.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
If money were tight, might've done the same thing as you.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Put the tweets in and they sound sweet as ever, I have the speakers going off a Cambridge 540A v2 that just arrived today!

Loving it so much that I might have to sell the ELT525's that I just ordered! Im thinking they wont come close (well, maybe) to the Thiel's overall SQ. These are amazing speakers

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Thought money was an issue, which prevented you from sending the Thiel in for repair.

Glad things worked out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I figured $35 Shipped for a pair was better than $40 + shipping, both ways for a not even a new tweeter, just a rebuild.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts