AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an inexpensive DVD Player that has it all for cheap. The Nintaus would be prefect, but the new model N838 (which even has DVD-Audio) won't be out for several weeks according to HiViZone. I'm looking for All region, VGA out, progressive scan, Faroudja, etc. and Karioke also, anyone have a suggestions?

Thanks...

·
Registered
68 Posts
There is always the malata 996 and 520. Both have component/rgb output. You need a 3 rca to vga cable but no transcoder since the rgb is configured on the 3 rca out jacks. Skyworth is better since it uses the faroujda chip but it outputs pal progressive as 576p not 480p like the malatas.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by H8nXTC
Looking for an inexpensive DVD Player that has it all for cheap.

All region, VGA out, progressive scan, Faroudja, etc. and Karaoke also, anyone have a suggestions?

Thanks...
How about the new Skyworth1050D? Has all you need, in a better package than the original 1050P.

Got mine from www.************* for 189$ + shipping & taxes.

Manuals for 1050D etc: http://www.hut.fi/~adent/sky.html

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion.

The Skyworth seems to fit the bill, but I read a couple things that need clearing up, first, does the newer 1050D still need the cap replaced, like in the older 1050P? And does the 1050D have Macrovision off or on?

Thanks...

Still wish Nintaus would come out with there new one already, would be nice to have DVD-Audio also, but this is for a gift for Christmas.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The skyworth has a seperate vga db15 out for rgb--it is by nature macrovision free. The other outputs should have it. The malata has rgb on the 3 rca outs used for ypbpr.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by H8nXTC
Thanks for the suggestion.

The Skyworth seems to fit the bill, but I read a couple things that need clearing up, first, does the newer 1050D still need the cap replaced, like in the older 1050P? And does the 1050D have Macrovision off or on?

Thanks...

Still wish Nintaus would come out with there new one already, would be nice to have DVD-Audio also, but this is for a gift for Christmas.
Hi, H8nXTC,

The capacitor problem does not happen in Skyworth 1050D anymore. Also, 1050D has Macrovision disabled.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I sent this info to a friend as a suggestion for a gift DVD player. But does anyone have any info on the Nintaus PDVD-N838. Last week I did a search on google and it came up with some site in some asain text, maybe chinese or korean. I think the site was something like www.365shop.com.cn (this is not it, but does anyone know what country the extension .cn is for) and it looked like they had the N838 available for order. But now I can't find the site. HiViZone says several weeks, which means a couple months, but Nintaus has had this model on their site for months and if it's available for this 365shop, then maybe there is someplace to order it. Anyone in HK or Korea seen this N838 in stores?

·
Registered
27,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thomadasilva
There is always the malata 996 and 520. Both have component/rgb output. You need a 3 rca to vga cable but no transcoder since the rgb is configured on the 3 rca out jacks. Skyworth is better since it uses the faroujda chip but it outputs pal progressive as 576p not 480p like the malatas.
I'm not sure about the 520, but the Malata 996 is perfectly capable of outputting PAL at 576p. This is how I have mine running into my projector when playing PAL discs and it works fine. It only downcoverts the signal to 480p if you leave the output set for NTSC. Switch to AUTO and it passes through the signal without conversion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kwokyan
Hi, H8nXTC,

The capacitor problem does not happen in Skyworth 1050D anymore. Also, 1050D has Macrovision disabled.
I believe that I have bumped into a macrovision problem with the 1050D :(

When I connect the progressive VGA output to a Sony 11HT projector (using a RGBHV cable) I am seeing occasional horizontal stripes, color and brightness changes on the screen while viewing PAL DVD's such as "Contact", "Moulin Rouge", etc... However, AVIA DVD (which is Macrovision free?) does not show any problems. I am not sure yet but I assume that the artifacts are due to macrovision?

If I use the progressive component out of the Skyworth to connect the Sony projector I do not see these effects. However, since RGBHV gives me much sharper image I would prefer to use the VGA out. (The component out connection from Skyworth features chroma delay problems which blur the image)

To test it further I will try to connect a CRT computer monitor to the skyworth via RGBHV - this type of display should not react to macrovision and the artifacts should disappear?

Does anyone have a solution to this - a box to remove macrovision from RGBHV signals? Or could it be something else than macrovision?

jouni (alias adent)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.