AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time reader to the forums but never had the urge to post until now. I'm not expert by any means so I never felt inclined that I had something valuable to contribute to the forums.

I am facing a purchasing decision on a TV set for my new home. I have always been a fan of LCD technology and had set my mind on purchasing one of the new Samsung LEDs but after much research and reading throughout this forum I've realized that Plasma is the better way to go.

I am looking at picking up a 58-inch set and am torn between Panasonic and Samsung's units after reading many of the comparison threads here. I know at the end of the day there is negligible difference between the two, especially when you don't have a side by side comparison all the time. What I want to know is if I'm making the right decision on what I am going to get.

I will be spending about 30% of the time gaming, 40% of the time watching HDTV and the other 30% of the time watching movies, mostly Blu-Ray. The TV will be setup in the living room so lighting won't be as controlled as I'd like it but I mostly watch TV after the sun has set anyways, so ambient lighting isn't as big of a concern. The TV will also be recessed into the wall.

Is Plasma my best bet? I consider myself a fairly hardcore gamer, so all of these threads on input lag worries me. Some people say you'll never tell a difference, but I can already notice it when I game on my 42-inch LCD now. Granted it's a cheap Westinghouse, but still.

I'd like to keep the budget around $3,500 for the 58-inch. I will also be purchasing a 50-52 for my bedroom and am leaning towards the Pioneer KURO for that purchase. My requirements is that I need something from Best Buy to take advantage of their 36-month no interest financing.

Which TV would you guys recommend for me? If it's Samsung, which one? I am completely torn and baffled after spending hours reading between the 500, 600, 700, 800-series and cannot tell if the price difference is worth it. I don't mind weight and size too much since the TV will be wall mounted and recessed into the wall so it'll be difficult to see the thickness difference anyways.

Thoughts? Greatly appreciate the advice and thanks in advance.

And if anyone in this forum wants to sway me towards LCD I'd be happy to entertain it too!

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
If another store will give you a better price why insist on BB's 36 month financing? Most of the time stuff like that is built into the price of the TV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/17014523

If another store will give you a better price why insist on BB's 36 month financing? Most of the time stuff like that is built into the price of the TV.

The local BB is actually fairly good with price matching and I prefer the luxury of putting it on the Best Buy credit card, Reward Zone parts, etc. than to shop online or find another local retailer. They also do free delivery which is a huge plus for me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tunerzine -

from looking at your budget, the two main sets i would look at would be the samsung pn58b850 and the panasonic tc-58v10 as far as value, i would choose the v10 mainly because its about 700 cheaper. but seeing as you want to do a lot of gaming, i would go with the panasonic. they are know for being the least susceptible of IR (image retention) and imo has a better customer service. that being said, the best tv is in the eyes of the beholder, take a look at both of them, see which one you will like the best. i would also look at one of the 60" pioneers if they still have one, you might be able to haggle them down to your price range.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Best Buy was the most expensive of the places I shopped. I went with a local independent dealer who gave me a Samsung 63" PN63B550 for close to internet price. IOW, I got a 63" Samsung for well under your budget for the 58".

You don't need features. The 550 series is fairly basic and will do what you need with very nice PQ. OTOH, think why you can only swing this deal with no-interest financing. The displays may be not be top priority in your life right now.

Just sit closer to the 42" LCD and it will be the same effect as 58".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies - I have actually decided to go with a KRP-600M. I think I'll be happiest with this investment. Thanks!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts