AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering upgrading my system within the next couple months, but wanted to hear some opinions from others.

My current setup is:

Front: Polk RTI8

Center: Polk CSI5

Rear: Monitor 40

Sub: MFW-15

Marantz Sr8001:

I was thinking of either buying Emotiva UPA-1 Amps for Left, Right, and Center channels or upgrading the LCR with Chase Home Theaters PRO-10. Sensitivity is much higher on the PRO-10 so I don't think I would need the external amps. The system is typically used 50/50 music/movies. I am mostly concerned about speakers that get loud and will not produce much fatigue. I find that the RTI8's can be fatiguing at high volumes with my AVR, I'm sure external amps and room treatments would help cure this problem.

Here is a cost comparison of both:

Emotiva UPA-1 (3 of them) $997

Tweak City Audio PRO-10 (Front 3) $1000 Plus Shipping

But I also have to take into consideration that I could sell the Polks to put toward the purchase of the PRO-10. So maybe subtract 400 from the price.

Anyways, any opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I am well aware of the XPA-3 having the same power ratings. This is also something I would have to consider. Though I have read reviews saying that the Mono amps are a better match for the RTI8. However I'm not sure it would be worth twice the price. My main concern is what setup would be better -- RTI8 w/External amps or Chase Home Theater PRO-10 w/Current Marantz SR8001.

So let me just add UPA-1 (3) $997 or XPA-3 $529.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
One of the benefits is that the mono block will have it's own power supply of 300VA. The XPA-3 has a power supply of 850VA that is shared with all three channels. Nothing wrong with the XPA-3. There are some other differences between the two.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.