AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new sub and am curious if I should spend more than the $350 for the A2-300. I can afford up to $700 for a sub but I dont know if I need to spend that much or not. If I can save some $ then i can get a blue ray player or may even an external amp as well. What can i expect if i step up to a higher dollar sub over the ED. Is it just volume and clarity? How much of a difference is there?

Here is my current setup:

fronts - Polk RTiA5's

center - Polk CSiA4

rears - Polk RTiA3's

sub -Polk PSW110

Here are the standard answers:

1.Budget - No more than $700 shipped + tax

2.Size requirements/limits - Smaller the better

3.Room dimensions - 13x22x8 - 2300 cubic feet

4.Primary uses - 60% TV 30% music 10% movies

5.Listening habits - Low to moderate volume daily, loud on occasion

6.Appearance requirements - None. Plain black box is fine.

7.Time frame - ASAP

The subs that I have looked into include models from ED, HSU, and SVS. How much of a difference is there between say the A2-300 and the SVS pc12-nsd? Is it worth double the cost? I have been researching for a few weeks now and can not decide if I want go with the lower end or the higher end of my budget. I know that $350 is where you move into the quality subs and I plan on keeping this sub for a long time. I do not listen at reference level and rarely listen at what others would consider loud. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
You're not going to regret going bigger/better, but you could regret not going big enough.

I definitely suggesting going higher since you have the budget now. Look at the higher eD offerings, maybe a Hsu VTF2 Mk3 or VTF3 Mk3 . Hsu subs have great sound quality for music, not just SPL for movies.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So based on my information you guys think I should go for a bigger/better sub just because I can afford it? Considering that I will not be playing it very loud and do not have a large space is this really necessary?

Ceiph - Why did you upgrade? Was it purely for SPL? Was there something else that you felt you were missing?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've had an eD A2-300 for the past few weeks.

It is an awesome unit. I was not disappointed in the least. My standard answers are very similar to yours. I'm running Polk M70,40,30 & CS2 combination as well.

I feel like this sub is a serious performer for the $$$.

If I had it to do all over again....I would do the same.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I have more cubic feet, but otherwise I am in the same boat, and pondering the exact same question. Is the ED A2-300 good enough ??

Just because I can spend more does not mean I want too if I don't need too.

From what I ave read my volume levels are quite low compared to many that participate here.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^ that is my thoughts exactly. Do I really need to spend more? at first i was set on a SVS PC12-nsd but my wife does not like the cylinder look. So now i am looking at other options and i can not determine if i should really blow all my budget on a sub that I will not use to its fullest. I could get a A2-300 and a maybe an oppo bdp80 for the same cost as a VTF3 or a SVS 12-nsd.

Keep the opinions coming, please...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shipping is free on the A2-300 so it is $350 to your door. This is what makes it so tempting.

I have seen a lot of good things about the MFW15. I have also heard about the problems that it had as well. At this time I am not prepared to purchase something from the makers of this sub. This is not really the place to talk about the merits of the company, but lets just say that the MFW15 is not an option.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If you have not seen this you might be interested
http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11

At one time there was a better explaination of the scoring system that I cannot find anymore, I think it worked like increasing decibles... for every three point increase the overall sound quality doubled.

But working from my memory is a dangerous proposition.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint /forum/post/18167491

If you have not seen this you might be interested
http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11

At one time there was a better explaination of the scoring system that I cannot find anymore, I think it worked like increasing decibles... for every three point increase the overall sound quality doubled.

But working from my memory is a dangerous proposition.

I'm pretty sure that every 3 points was something like a 15% improvement. Three points representing a doubling in quality doesn't allow for a very granular rating system - especially when no partial points are awarded. But it's been awhile since I read the explanation as well...

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Looking at the numbers, the HT score looks like about half of the avg measured SPL over the range, with other variables thrown in for extras. The Music score looks like more subjective rating based on musical performance. They originally had a "reference" sub, The Velodyne DD-18, that was the best at the time, and they rated that at 100, or 50/50. So subsequent ratings were based on how subs performed compared to that base rating.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thats some good information. I wish they had the PA-120 rated on there so I could compare it to the eD A2-300. I am really looking to spend closer to $200, but I don't want to really wish I went bigger. I guess the H-100 is close to the PA-120, or so that is what everyone says, but I would like to see a real test done.

I know everyone will tell me to go bigger, but if it is not a drastic improvement, I am not sure it will be worth almost twice the price. I will be going from a cheap onkyo HTiB sub, so ANYTHING will sound much better.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
If you want to spend as little as possible, look for a good price on the BIC Acoustech H-100. But the step between that and the eD you're looking at, or say a Hsu VTF-1 (let alone the VTF 2 or 3) is what I would call "drastic."

Your room's about the same size as mine, more or less. That's a lot of space to fill, even if you don't think you'll need to play it that loud. With a smaller sub, you'll be pushing it to its limits more, maybe running out of steam, whereas a bigger/better sub won't break a sweat at that level.

It's sort of similar to cars, in that you might not think you need the extra horsepower, or those extra cylinders, or that extra liter, or that turbo. But it doesn't hurt to have them in case you just want to push down on the gas every once in a while and feel the rush. At least with subwoofers, the price difference is only in the hundreds, not the thousands.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the gigantic pics. lol

I have read all about the various SVS subs as well as the HSU VTF series. The only ED that i have considered is the A2-300. There is no chance that i will be able to stretch the budget any more than the $700 that I have as I am tired of waiting as it is now.

So does it boil down to the following

1. A2-300 = best value and overall decent performer across the board more HT though

2. HSU VTF series = jump in performance with a focus on music

3. SVS 12NSD == jump in perfromance with a focus on HT

And does jump in performance = higher SPL and accuracy of bass?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones0404 /forum/post/18169521

And does jump in performance = higher SPL and accuracy of bass?

Yes. And the "music" reference means mid-bass and accuracy and detail in the sound.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.