AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am looking for a set of speakers for the new HT, but I have no idea on what to get. I know this is a typical Question ,but I don't even know what brands there are so I have no way I researching.
I will obviously need front left and right speakers with a center , two speakers for the back and the sub. At this point in time I have set a pretty low budget of about $5-6K US dollars for the speakers and sub combined.

I live in Japan and have been looking at Yamaha, pioneer, Denon and afew other brands. They don't have to look good b/c they will all be hidden, so I guess I am looking for the best quality sound without wasting money on how good the speaker looks. Is there any speakers that sacrifice looks for sound?

Any help will be appreciated. Cheers

·
Banned
783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave /forum/post/16911909

At this point in time I have set a pretty low budget of about $5-6K US dollars for the speakers and sub combined.

5 to 6 thousand dollars is a pretty low budget to you?

I'd be embarrassed to tell you how little I paid for mine.

Are there any US / Canadian or British speakers sold over there?

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvernon /forum/post/16911931

5 to 6 thousand dollars is a pretty low budget to you?

I'd be embarrassed to tell you how little I paid for mine.

Are there any US / Canadian or British speakers sold over there?

It seems the speakers I have been looking at have all been up there in price eg, pioneers go for $20k just for a set of towers. For my first set of speakers I am not ready to dish that out.

I think you can get some US and Canadian brands here, as the guy who I first talked to about my HT said he can get most of the bigger brands.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the help, there is so much information in this thread I am overwhelmed...

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Do a search for JTR Triple 8/Triple 12 speakers

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold /forum/post/16923459

Do a search for JTR Triple 8/Triple 12 speakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochymama /forum/post/16923513

I agree with Brown, those will be the best HT speakers you can get for that price

Thanks guys, I am getting on the google god as I type.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How would you set those JTR's for HT? I would assume that you would use the same speaker for the center , left and right? But what would you use for the rears? Or should I ask how one would set up a system like this?

I imagine you would have 3 Triple 12 speakers up front and 2 Triple 8

speakers at the rear.

·
Registered
380 Posts
have you thought about used speakers? they usually cost less too

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun /forum/post/16924187

That would work. You could also do 3 Triple 8's up front and 2 slant 8's for the surrounds, plus a Captivator sub.

http://www.jtrspeakers.com/home_products.html

Those speakers are huge and the wattage on them is enormous,I gather you can't just stick say a Pioneer SC-LX90 AMP to drive them? You would need a seperate amp to run these? What is sound quilty like? Again thanks for all the help guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Mike_P /forum/post/16924632

have you thought about used speakers? they usually cost less too

I have no way of getting used speakers here from the States...

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave /forum/post/16925160

Those speakers are huge and the wattage on them is enormous,I gather you can't just stick say a Pioneer SC-LX90 AMP to drive them?

Actually, they handle tons of power but they're also extremely efficient. So they'll actually do better in power-limited situations than other speakers.

7*200W ICE modules should do fine unless you're in a really large space. But if you don't already have the Pio, have you considered getting something like D-Sonic 's ICEpower amps? Same modules, less margin. Note that the Triple 8s are 4 ohm so "525W" ICEpower modules will, given enough wall power (D-sonic will make units with multiple power cords!) put out pretty much the max power you can use... Your ears may bleed at that level, however.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 /forum/post/16925255

Actually, they handle tons of power but they're also extremely efficient. So they'll actually do better in power-limited situations than other speakers.

7*200W ICE modules should do fine unless you're in a really large space.

I was concerned about under powering them? I am also concerened about being able to control the base, they seem like they would have a lot of base?

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
894 Posts
You should start a new thread with that title...

Pretty soon you'll be buying Catalysts! (Well, it would save buying an amp...
) Actually, you should look at the active crossover bi-amped JBL Pros as well.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 /forum/post/16931920

You should start a new thread with that title...

Pretty soon you'll be buying Catalysts! (Well, it would save buying an amp...
) Actually, you should look at the active crossover bi-amped JBL Pros as well.

Oh crap... I just looked them up and they look great. And you don't need an amp for them? But you would still need an amp to hook up to the PJ right? How much do the catalysts go for? (I new I would not be able to hold back
) This is all so confussing.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Catalysts are $3500 each, I think, unless the price just went up. Seaton also has smaller (single coaxial driver) bi-amped speakers for $1500 each (Sparks). These are either for smaller HT rooms or use as surrounds with Catalysts in front.

You don't need an amp of any sort with active speakers, just a pre-pro. Being in Japan you should have no problem picking up an Onkyo 886 or the like.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 /forum/post/16932299

Catalysts are $3500 each, I think, unless the price just went up. Seaton also has smaller (single coaxial driver) bi-amped speakers for $1500 each (Sparks). These are either for smaller HT rooms or use as surrounds with Catalysts in front.

You don't need an amp of any sort with active speakers, just a pre-pro. Being in Japan you should have no problem picking up an Onkyo 886 or the like.

Wow, really! That sounds great(forgive the pun.
)

I started a new thread like you said. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1167835

1 - 20 of 26 Posts