AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Martin Logan Dynamo 300 on craigslist for $100. It would be used with my Overnight Sensations in a desk setup, used mostly for music and games. The room is about 17.5 x 14.5 with two 4 x 5 dormers.
Would it work well for me vs. building my own subwoofer? Thanks

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Depends how much output you're looking for. If you're just looking for a some low end it would most likely work well enough. I would talk them down to $75 if possible. New it cost between $250 to $300. Make sure it's in good condition before you pay for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends how much output you're looking for. If you're just looking for a some low end it would most likely work well enough. I would talk them down to $75 if possible. New it cost between $250 to $300. Make sure it's in good condition before you pay for it.
Not looking for a whole lot of output, as I'm only using it at a desk setup.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
I owned the Martin Logan Dynamo 300 and a "Dynamo" it is NOT!

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
It might be alright if you keep it pretty close, but I agree you would be better off with a Dayton SUB-1000 or 1200 if it's not too big.

What else is available near you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It might be alright if you keep it pretty close, but I agree you would be better off with a Dayton SUB-1000 or 1200 if it's not too big.

What else is available near you?
I'm in Indianapolis, would also be willing to build a subwoofer if it offers good performance.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
I'm in Indianapolis, would also be willing to build a subwoofer if it offers good performance.
How much would you be willing to spend on a diy/aiy sub? The minimal costs for a driver, box and amp add up....but even with a budget driver like the Infinity 1260/1262 you can do much better than something like the Dynamo 300....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much would you be willing to spend on a diy/aiy sub? The minimal costs for a driver, box and amp add up....but even with a budget driver like the Infinity 1260/1262 you can do much better than something like the Dynamo 300....
$150 would probably be the most I would spend unless spending more offers substantial improvement. If possible, having a smaller box like the Martin Logan would be great.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
The Infinity 1260/1262 driver is about $60-70 (altho there is a twofer deal at one site for $106). A cheap amp on the light side watts and dsp-wise maybe $100, but better choices are probably at least $150-200. Then there's the box, if you can't build your own that's probably another $100....
Box size and type are related to performance and the amp/dsp needed. Small usually means sealed with a larger amp and some dsp to bring up the low end....

You probably for $150 should keep looking for a good used one to pop up. I'd agree that $100 for a $170 sub is a bit much used....may as well buy one http://www.safeandsoundhq.com/Martin-Logan-Dynamo-300-8-inch-Powered-Subwoofer?gclid=CNLQnrig-sgCFQOSfgod6_4LlA

There's a big fan of the Dynamo300 around here, think its @Squirrel!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Infinity 1260/1262 driver is about $60-70 (altho there is a twofer deal at one site for $106). A cheap amp on the light side watts and dsp-wise maybe $100, but better choices are probably at least $150-200. Then there's the box, if you can't build your own that's probably another $100....
Box size and type are related to performance and the amp/dsp needed. Small usually means sealed with a larger amp and some dsp to bring up the low end....

You probably for $150 should keep looking for a good used one to pop up. I'd agree that $100 for a $170 sub is a bit much used....may as well buy one http://www.safeandsoundhq.com/Martin-Logan-Dynamo-300-8-inch-Powered-Subwoofer?gclid=CNLQnrig-sgCFQOSfgod6_4LlA

There's a big fan of the Dynamo300 around here, think its @Squirrel!
Alright, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I wouldn't spend over $120 for a Dynamo 300, but that's just me. I love the heck out of them...for a good price. At normal retail, there are better. DIY will cost you more than the one on CL and your time. I would offer $80 if it is immaculate condition. It is a VERY good sub for the size...VERY articulate. $150/above, I'd keep looking. I like the 300 so much because they were selling as refurbs (but new was shipped) for under $120 each. The best bang for the buck in this size sub at that price, in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Was it just not loud enough for you?
It lacked in volume, depth and accuracy. Oh, did I mention it was UGLY? however, it may be as good as the other 100 dollar subs out there! Btw, I bought mine new for 100 dollars from New Egg, maybe 3 years ago.

I moved up the ladder from the Dynamo to the Klipsch Synergy (mediocre), the Klipsch Rw12D (more mediocre, leading me to believe that Klipsch does NOT make great subs) and finally, my EMPtek10i10i (very accurate and pretty good output, just doesn't hit low) and my Outlaw LFM-1 plus (ouput, good acuuracy, good, low, good!)

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
It lacked in volume, depth and accuracy. Oh, did I mention it was UGLY? however, it may be as good as the other 100 dollar subs out there! Btw, I bought mine new for 100 dollars from New Egg, maybe 3 years ago.

I moved up the ladder from the Dynamo to the Klipsch Synergy (mediocre), the Klipsch Rw12D (more mediocre, leading me to believe that Klipsch does NOT make great subs) and finally, my EMPtek10i10i (very accurate and pretty good output, just doesn't hit low) and my Outlaw LFM-1 plus (ouput, good acuuracy, good, low, good!)
Sub journeys are so much fun. What, you haven't discovered diy subs yet? Dude!

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Sub journeys are so much fun. What, you haven't discovered diy subs yet? Dude!
It's funny you mention that. Personally I'm scared to start down that road, not because I'm not handy (because actually I am pretty handy). But because I'm afraid of the addiction that seems to afflict a lot of the DIYers. I think once I start down the DIY road I wouldn't be able to stop. :D

Reactions: smurraybhm

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
It's funny you mention that. Personally I'm scared to start down that road, not because I'm not handy (because actually I am pretty handy). But because I'm afraid of the addiction that seems to afflict a lot of the DIYers. I think once I start down the DIY road I wouldn't be able to stop. :D
I have no idea what you're talking about :rolleyes:

I can tell you that the three I've built (sealed using SI HT18"s) are pretty awesome (my best commercial sub is an Epik Empire, a dual opposed 15" sealed design, but doesn't quite keep up); I did buy two more drivers since they're no longer in production and wanted a couple more just in case.....not sure yet what those are going to be built into. Is there a 12-stepper for sub guys? :) I can see it now...we admitted we have no power over our subs.....a list of the neighbors harmed....LOL.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
I have no idea what you're talking about :rolleyes:

I can tell you that the three I've built (sealed using SI HT18"s) are pretty awesome (my best commercial sub is an Epik Empire, a dual opposed 15" sealed design, but doesn't quite keep up); I did buy two more drivers since they're no longer in production and wanted a couple more just in case.....not sure yet what those are going to be built into. Is there a 12-stepper for sub guys? :) I can see it now...we admitted we have no power over our subs.....a list of the neighbors harmed....LOL.
Ha Ha Ha… That would be a Loooooong list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had one in a 2-channel setup for more than a year to complement Magnapan MMGWs, and really like it. I got it new for about $100 at the local Fry's. It's in a room about the same size as yours, but I don't listen at loud levels.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Blast from the past! LOL ;)

Just wanted to stop in and say that almost 4 years later, I am still luvvin' my 3, Dynamo 300's!!! Just fantastic little subs these things are. No issues at all, just wonderfully clean and powerful bass. :cool:

Very pleased with the investment and another reason MartinLogan is no. 1, at least to my family. Happened to see an open box deal for one today...$170!!!:eek:

But, in all honesty, it IS worth it. The quality of the cabinetry and components are just top notch, all the way around. I'm just an old penny-pinching cheapskate is all. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts