AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade a 26 LCD to a 42 TV, likely Plasma, for my office where I'm approx 10 feet from the TV which will be mounted on the wall. Anything over 42 will dominate the office so I prefer to limit size to 42 and 37 would work if I went the LCD route. Based on my experience with my Panny 55 850U Plasma, I'm leaning to Plasma but I need to ensure the TV has good anti-reflective specs since the office gets sun all afternoon.

After doing a lot of reading in here and consulting CNET and Consumer Reports, I'm considering getting the Panasonic P42G25 Plasma TV through Amazon with the free sound bar system thrown in. A full 5.1 surround system is unnecessary for the office due to type of viewing I do. Viewing is HD via Dish and is usually some sports, CNBC and other network TV. (I will not have gaming, DVD or internet hooked into the TV). I can also order other model Panasonics at very good prices through the Panasonic employer purchase program.

So here's the question; with the Panasonic P42G25, am I paying for features that I will not use (such as the internet capabilities)? Given my type of viewing, is there another Panasonic model or another manufacturer that I should consider where I would get similar or better PQ by forgoing features such as internet connectivity that I will not use? Also, I am a little concerned about the long term black level issue as well as the fact that PC World recently gave the TV a less than stellar review (see below) and mentioned its color saturation. Cost is less of an issue but I'd prefer to spend less than $1,000 and I do like the idea of the sound bar to get some extra base.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/produ...plasma_tv.html

·
Registered
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullly11 /forum/post/19570329

I’m looking to upgrade a 26” LCD to a 42” TV, likely Plasma, for my office where I’m approx 10 feet from the TV which will be mounted on the wall. Anything over 42” will dominate the office so I prefer to limit size to 42” and 37” would work if I went the LCD route. Based on my experience with my Panny 55” 850U Plasma, I’m leaning to Plasma but I need to ensure the TV has good anti-reflective specs since the office gets sun all afternoon.

After doing a lot of reading in here and consulting CNET and Consumer Reports, I’m considering getting the Panasonic P42G25 Plasma TV through Amazon with the free sound bar system thrown in. A full 5.1 surround system is unnecessary for the office due to type of viewing I do. Viewing is HD via Dish and is usually some sports, CNBC and other network TV. (I will not have gaming, DVD or internet hooked into the TV). I can also order other model Panasonics at very good prices through the Panasonic employer purchase program.

So here’s the question; with the Panasonic P42G25, am I paying for features that I will not use (such as the internet capabilities)? Given my type of viewing, is there another Panasonic model or another manufacturer that I should consider where I would get similar or better PQ by forgoing features such as internet connectivity that I will not use? Also, I am a little concerned about the long term black level issue as well as the fact that PC World recently gave the TV a less than stellar review (see below) and mentioned its color saturation. Cost is less of an issue but I'd prefer to spend less than $1,000 and I do like the idea of the sound bar to get some extra base.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/produ...plasma_tv.html

That is the best deal out there for a 42-inch. You would have to go 50-inches to have other options. Samsung and LG don't have high end tv's until there. Another option is to go LCD since it is a pretty bright room and you probably won't get to watch tv at night much I guess. Maybe check out the Samsung LN40C630 which has a Matte screen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts