AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 47 inch WS RPTV for my movie watching. However, so few games now support WS and I hate playing my games in "stretch" mode. Also, by the time you lower contrast, etc. to avoid burn-in, the picture looks like crap. I am in the process of buying a 36 inch Tube TV for our video gaming needs (as well as Kid TV when I want to watch a movie). I am almost sold on the Panasonic CT-36HX41-- last years model. I can get it with free delivery from CC for 1225.00. My only concern is the lack of a DVI input. I know the newer consoles are probably only a year or 2 off. Does anyone think the XBOX 2 or PS3 or whatever will require a DVI port to get HD quality gaming? Has anyone read a review of this TV and think it would be a good TV for the next 2 or 3 years for gaming? Any info or opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just purchased the HX42 which is the slightly newer model. I was buying the 41 but the sales guy screwed up and gave the 42. Anyway, I think this is a fine tv. Most profesional reviews rate the Panny behind the Sony and Toshiba 36" models but I am very pleased with mine. There is no DVI but it has lots of inputs the picture was very good to me and it is smaller and cheaper than a sony 36".

·
Registered
743 Posts
Too difficult to tell what the future holds as far as HDTV and DVI right now. nobody can make that decission for you because it could be totally wrong. Even DVI could be outdated in a couple years.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just bought a HX42 and I love it. I got a fantastic deal on an open-box item at Best Buy for $999. Because there aren't many fundamental differences between the HX41 and HX42, I'd definitely recommend it.

The only problem I'm having is with the TV is that it needs to be degaussed whenever it's moved from one location to another (like BB to my house) and a pincushion/geometry issue. However, Panasonic warranties that TV for 1 year on parts & labor and 2 years on the CRT so I'm not worried at all. I've got a service call in and the local service techs will come out and fix what's wrong.

It's a fantastic TV and you can't beat it for the money (even at $1468, the lowest Brick & Mortar price I saw).

·
Registered
80 Posts
We have the HX 42, and love it, with one exception. With an HDTV STB hooked to it via component inputs, the set defaults to 16:9 mode, and you have to manually reset tv to 4:3 mode each time set is turned on, in order for the picture to look right. Panasonic support says there is nothing to do to correct this problem. Again, otherwise it has been great!

Al

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alsat
We have the HX 42, and love it, with one exception. With an HDTV STB hooked to it via component inputs, the set defaults to 16:9 mode, and you have to manually reset tv to 4:3 mode each time set is turned on, in order for the picture to look right. Panasonic support says there is nothing to do to correct this problem. Again, otherwise it has been great!

Al
I dont have that problem with my HX41. The problem I do have is when I use the component cables hooked up to my HDTV STB, my PIP is disabled. Otherwise, I have no complaints with the TV

Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have access to a BJ's Wholesale Club, they may have the 36" HL42 (next model up from the HX42) for $1199 (call; my local BJ's here in NH has it for that price). You have to arrange delivery yourself, though...

-Steven-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by secretariat73
If you have access to a BJ's Wholesale Club, they may have the 36" HL42 (next model up from the HX42) for $1199 (call; my local BJ's here in NH has it for that price). You have to arrange delivery yourself, though...

-Steven-

Checked back at the BJ's...... they've now dropped the price on this one to $1099. That's pretty good!

-Steven-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.