AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Klipsch promedia 4.1 speakers that I used to use on my PC. I no longer own my desktop PC and the speakers are just laying around unused. Now I would like to build a decent surround sound setup for my living room and was wondering if those speakers could be recycled.

I was thinking of using the 4 satellites as the left and right speakers for both the front and rear. I also have a 12'' Cerwin Vega sub I would like to try to use. If all of these work well all I would need is the center speaker and a receiver.

My question is do you think these speakers born for a PC will do well in the living room or am I just wasting my time? If they would work what receiver would you recommend to power them? I will need to connect my Direct TV, Game Cube, Xbox 360, and would like to have extra connections available for when the PS3 releases or if I decided to add other sources.

Also what would you suggest for the center channel and for a sub if you think the CV is garbage?

I would prefer the products to be available at a local Best Buy, Walmart or some other major chain. Mail order is difficult where I live.

Thank you,

Joe

Edit: I live alone have a large living room and my neighbors are far enough away to have a nice ear blowing setup. I have a budget of about $700 but would like to spend as little of it as possible. I have no HDMI devices but all of my current devies use the component cables. 1 uses digital coaxal audio and I have 1 with optical audio. All other devices are standard 2 channel RCA.

·
Registered
79 Posts
First, since you will be connecting your devices via component and not HDMI, I would highly recommend going with the Pioneer 1015TX receiver ( http://reviews.cnet.com/Pioneer_VSX_...4.html?tag=tpr ). It has three component-video inputs, THX select 2, video upconversion, and other goodies for a great price. You could search this forum and the receiver forum to check out the very good reviews that the 1015TX has received so far. The Klipsh promedia speakers aren’t bad, but I think you can get a far better SQ with the Athena Micra 6 setup. If you don’t mind getting more bulky, larger type of speakers, I think the Athena point 5 MKII system is a better buy than the Athena Micra 6 setup because this setup will you get you a “movie“ like sound experience due to the size of the Athena point 5 speakers compared to the satellite speakers of the Klipsch system you have now. The Cerwin Vega sub isn’t garbage at all, so if you want to save some money, you can stick to that sub.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick and informative reply.

I am concerned with the upconversion though. I am a heavy gamer and I have read that converters introduce video lag. If your gamer you know that a fraction of a seccond is a matter of life and death in games. I'm pretty sure my HDTV has a converter built in and I have not seen any lag. Do I run the risk of introducing lag with that receiver and can it be disabled? Is upconverting and line doubling the same?

Thank you again,

Joe

·
Registered
79 Posts
What HDTV do you have? Game lag has more to do with the TV than the AV receiver, but I’m pretty sure that you won’t experience game lag with the HDTV that you have now and the Pioneer 1015TX from the searching I have done on this forum about that issue. And yes, scaling is the same as line-doubling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the reply. The tv is almost 2 years old and is a SONY KP-57HW40. Its a 57" rear projection HDTV. I don't even remember what the native resolution is.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You should have no problem with lag with that HDTV and the Pioneer 1015. Have a happy XMAS. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.