AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is 13ft x 9ft and I am looking to buy the Sony VPL-HS51 LCD Projector. I am also getting the Stweart FireHawk screen but now I need to choose the right size.

I own the Paradigm Signature S8 and C5 with the Servo that are at the front so I need some room for the speakers on the front 9ft wall.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Using 1.2 seating distance to width gives you a 106" Screen. That is a little over seven and a half feet. You might consider getting some BO Cloth to make a temporary screen for testing. 16 bucks or so is cheap insurance you get the screen size you want.

Warren.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just measured and I have about 72" wide of space on the 9ft wall for the screen. That would make for a 85" screen. Would that be too small from 10ft away?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
That is pretty little. Still better than rear projection. You will get a nice bright image. You would be happier with smaller speakers and a bigger screen. I will glady trade you my Ascend Acoustics 340's for your speakers. :)

Get some BO Cloth and tape it up and think about it a bit. Maybe you could get an anamorphic lens and go 2.35:1 if that will help you clear stuff. Depends on what you want to watch of course. I mostly watch movies so it is all 2.35 for me.

Warren.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
deafgoose,

I have the HS51 and a 92" screen with a seating distance of 11'. At 10' the largest screen I would want would be 84" diag with this pj to enjoy optimal image quality and (reduce SDE). Also, given that you only have a 9' wall you need to consider proper speaker placement.

·
Registered
148 Posts
THX recommended seating distance is ~1.5 screen widths away. This is about an 84" diag. 16:9 screen -- same as mimason suggests. Certainly any closer and you run a good risk of being annoyed by screen door and other image artifacts too.

While a few people like sitting closer than this, a majority don't. Before blowing BIG bucks on a screen that is too large for your room you may want to go to your local movie theater and sit really near the front and see if you like it.

BTW. I have a room where I have to sit about 10' from the screen too. I custom-made a 84" screen and love it with my Z2. A friend with a similar sized room and the same projector bought a bigger screen (something like 106") and is currently projecting a smaller image on it to make it watchable. He tried the larger image and was seeing way to many artifacts.

YMMV, but definitely worth trying projecting on a blank wall or cheap black-out cloth before dropping $$$$ on a screen that big.

Rod.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I sit 10 feet from my 133" screen and love it. I also like IMax movies. If you sat 1.5x screen width at IMax you would be in the lobby. :) That is a limitation of LCD though. My benQ 7700 DLP is mostly great at that distance. I was trying 144" for a while, but SDE was bothersome there. At 133" in certain places I see SDE, but some movies I never see it. I LOVE the big picture. I planned 120" but luckily bought BO Cloth to test and found I like bigger better.

Warren.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.