AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I am about to make the plunge into projector land for my living room which has blackout curtains and can be made very dark. My budget was around $2k but could stretch to $4k if its really worth it. I was originally looking at the 8700ub, but then I heard a lot of good things about the DLA-HD250. It seems like my current options are the 250, RS40, or Epson 21000/3100. I do like the 5000hr rating of the Epson.

I will be sitting about 12' from the screen, the projector ceiling mounted above the listening position so I don't want a noisy projector (like I hear the 8700ub is). I picked up a 1.0 gain, matte 106" tab tensioned motorized screen from javeq.

This will mainly be for movie watching, the occasional video game and tv show (all HD). I want a film like experience, and won't be masking. Black levels are important to me.

So here I am. Should I just get the HD250 or wait and see what the 21000 has to offer? If I were to get the 21000, would it makes sense to wait and get the 31000 for the color management and have it ISF calibrated?

Last question, is the RS40 much of an improvement over the HD250? I probably wont be watching 3d anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
If black levels are important to you, go straight to a JVC model. The Epson won't be able to match it for the price.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk
If black levels are important to you, go straight to a JVC model. The Epson won't be able to match it for the price.
I agree, if you want black levels I think LCD's aren't the way to go period.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.