AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have an Amcrest IP3M-943 which is 2k and 100 degree field of view. It records to a microSD which I can view through my phone. It is wirelessly connected to our router but I have power running to it.

I really like the image and field of view of this camera and the fact that I can view it from my phone or any PC through their website. I also have an indoor version that I set up when we're out for an extended amount of time. I can easily switch between the two.

What I not only dislike but Hate is that their software and camera access is not user friendly. I struggle to view the recordings straight from the camera. I have to get out a ladder to remove the SD card from the camera and play it on a PC to find what I'm looking for. Just the other day I knew of an incident and tried to find the recording by using their app and software. I could view around the time of the incident but not it specifically.

Also tired of having to re-add the cameras to their software after it loses it.

Anyone know of a user-friendly camera that matches the setup and specifics I have? I don't want to replace batteries. I do that enough as it is with our items around the house.

Also, IP / wired connection is not possible in its location.

Hoping to have the recording with remote access on the camera but not sure if a competent system allows this?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Currently have an Amcrest IP3M-943 which is 2k and 100 degree field of view. It records to a microSD which I can view through my phone. It is wirelessly connected to our router but I have power running to it.

I really like the image and field of view of this camera and the fact that I can view it from my phone or any PC through their website. I also have an indoor version that I set up when we're out for an extended amount of time. I can easily switch between the two.

What I not only dislike but Hate is that their software and camera access is not user friendly. I struggle to view the recordings straight from the camera. I have to get out a ladder to remove the SD card from the camera and play it on a PC to find what I'm looking for. Just the other day I knew of an incident and tried to find the recording by using their app and software. I could view around the time of the incident but not it specifically.

Also tired of having to re-add the cameras to their software after it loses it.

Anyone know of a user-friendly camera that matches the setup and specifics I have? I don't want to replace batteries. I do that enough as it is with our items around the house.

Also, IP / wired connection is not possible in its location.

Hoping to have the recording with remote access on the camera but not sure if a competent system allows this?
just trying to wrap my head around this - you want a camera that can record and send to a recording device while not being physically connected to that recording device? have you looked at Nest or Ring or one of the cloud solutions? You mention you do not want to replace batteries, so I am assuming you have a traditional electrical power outlet out there just no network cable run out there?

You could use Blue Iris or Security Spy if you are a Windows/Mac user, though you need a machine running 24x7. You could also use Synology likely as well. I have Blue Iris so I can speak more to that solution. With these options you can continue to use the Amcrest camera but your interface (online, mobile, desktop software) would be Blue Iris. So you can leave the camera up there and just record it all to Blue Iris.

Really depends on how much up front you want to spend vs paying potential monthly subscription fees, etc.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
just trying to wrap my head around this - .
Sorry if I didn't explain it very well. I like the way the Amcrest is currently setup but the camera, app and software just doesn't work correctly all of the time which is frustrating. It's why I'm looking for something more user friendly and less problematic but very similar.

Yes, our house was built with power near the camera but not ethernet. Running a direct ethernet connection to that part is not possible without a lot of work so I would need a wireless camera. Don't want to confuse anyone any more but I do have the camera connected to a wireless repeater so when I've test the connection to the router, it is very strong.

The Amcrest Camera has a large capacity microSD within it that it records to. I can access the recordings through the network and my phone app but it is very hard to navigate. You can remove the card from the camera and view it on a PC but the camera is in a location that is not easily accessible. I wish accessing the recordings over the network and app weren't so problematic otherwise I'd love the current setup.

Therefore I'm looking for something very similar to the Amcrest but with better / simpler user interface.

I do like your idea of using the existing camera but adding a separate PC to run Blue Iris. I don't know a lot about it and it's limitations so I need to study it more.

·
Registered
850 Posts
really no limitations. I posted in another thread on here about getting involved in BI. Maybe about $500 to get the refurb PC you would need, 6 TB hard drive (could be overkill for 1-2 cameras), the 1x software purchase, 1x app purchase (you can use a web browser for free, if you want iOS/Android apps its a 1x fee of like $5 or $10 per device). So yeah you can get up and running for $500 or less. your amcrest camera would work with it assuming its ONVIF compatible (which according what the spec sheet I found online it is ONVIF). What's nice is this is scalable for up to 64 cameras and you can leave the current camera as is. It also may be overkill for a 1 camera solution but its stable, it works, it gives you mobile/web viewing, etc. Otherwise you are just not happy with the Amcrest UI, so then you'd have to look online and see if you like Dahua, Hik or one of 1,001 other brands of cameras. Blue Iris is nice because it allows for 1 interface for all of your cameras (I have 12 security cameras from 4 manufactures at my house but I only have to interact with blue iris which is nice).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts