AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 year old Panasonic PT52DL10 DLP (1st generation) has suddenly become very loud. I thought it was a fan, and took all the panels apart, but all the fans I could see appear to be normal and quiet. Then I started thinking it could be the color wheel. The sound starts when the light bulb comes on, and goes away when the light bulb goes out (but the normal cooling fans are still on). It sounds like a very fast fan that is unbalanced or is slightly striking or impinging on something. When the TV is turned on, it first comes up to speed, then suddenly drops down in speed, then quickly comes back up to speed, but all before the TV displays a picture, then continues noisily until the TV is turned off - it goes away coincidentally when the colorwheel used to normally wind down, which leads to believe it is the colorwheel. Has anybody had this problem (on Panasonic or Samsun DLP?). The picture is still OK, but I am afraid to operate this way (plus it is annoying) for fear I could have a more costly repair for something that could be a simple fix.

Does anybody have an electronic copy of the Panasonic DLP service manual - I could not tell when I had the panels off if there was a way to get to the colorwheel to see if it was rubbing against something, or some screw or assembly loosened?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Maybe you could do some more troubleshooting steps to pointpoint that it Is the colorwheel. It probably is, but it's confusing that it would relate to lamp coming on (and that fuctuation thing). Doesn't the lamp only come on after the wheel is at speed?

Is the visual quality or "behavior" of the DLP affected by this at all?

The other possibility is that there's a variable-speed fan (ie, temperature-regulated) somewhere whose bearing has gone or is dust-clogged.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.