AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to put 2 75-minute episodes of a show on the same disc, but I don't want to do a real time FR dub.

I think I could do it by recording each episode with the FR manually set for 150 minutes (Functions/Other Functions/FR/set time for 150 minutes), and then I could do a high speed dub since both episodes would have been recorded with FR=150 minutes.

I'm trying to figure out how to do it if I need to make a timer recording of the episodes. The only thing I can think of is to set the timer to record 150 minutes each time, even though the episode itself would only run 75 minutes. I hate to record twice as long as I need to, but I haven't figured out another way to still be able to do a high speed dub.

Anybody have another suggestion?

John

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Yes the (2) 150 minute (or you might be able to try a 140 minute) FR scheduled recording, then edit out the last 65 minutes should work. The reason I say 140 minutes is because in practice I've found you can HS dub ~2:07 min SP or 3:12 min FR3 or ~4:14 min LP to a standard DVD. Panasonic allows more time to be put on a DVD when doing a HS dub because the recorder knows exactly how much information is going to go on the disc vs. a realtime recording where they want to leave a rather large buffer.

I love FR but it's a PIA for scheduled events when you don't want to make one long recording to fill up the disc.

Truthfully almost of all my FR events are live and I haven't really done what your talking about, but it should work, kinda clever IMO.

A definite advantage of Pioneers MN recording format.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMas /forum/post/16930049

I would like to put 2 75-minute episodes of a show on the same disc, but I don't want to do a real time FR dub.

I think I could do it by recording each episode with the FR manually set for 150 minutes (Functions/Other Functions/FR/set time for 150 minutes), and then I could do a high speed dub since both episodes would have been recorded with FR=150 minutes.

I'm trying to figure out how to do it if I need to make a timer recording of the episodes. The only thing I can think of is to set the timer to record 150 minutes each time, even though the episode itself would only run 75 minutes. I hate to record twice as long as I need to, but I haven't figured out another way to still be able to do a high speed dub.

Anybody have another suggestion?

John

You are definitely on the right track here with your idea. As jjeff has said, using HS dubbing you get more time than the standard. Also, with FR, the machine defaults to fitting the entire program onto 4GB, not the 4.4GB that is actaully on the disk, yes about 90% full. You would be better using about 140 minutes to make a better use of the disk.

I don't understand your reluctance to use a timer recording of "twice as long" as you need. If it goes to the had drive, who cares. Cut the part you don't want and go from there. Your EH55 has a 200G hard drive, though the EH75 only has an 80G. This is a real non-issue actually. It works very well using your method, I have fdone it many times, even with DL disks, and I recommend it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My reluctance to make timer recordings twice as long as needed is a concern about the extra wear on the recorder. I don't think any of us expects to see recorders of this quality available again in the U.S., and there is no guarantee that Panasonic's flat-rate repair will still be available when I need it fixed.

If it were only an occasional program, I wouldn't be so concerned, but I am looking at a series of about 250 75-minute shows. I don't want to use 250 DVDs, but I also don't want to make a double-length recording for each one.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Being a Pioneer owner, I'm not absolutely positive about this, but I'm reasonably sure I've seen posts from Panasonic owners who say its a relatively simple and painless affair to replace the hard drive in an EH55/EH75. Perhaps jjeff or ChurchAVGuy or one of the other long-term Panny experts can confirm this for you.

In any case, you defeat the entire point of your recorder if you avoid using it for fear of wearing it out! It is designed to do precisely the type of repetitive series recording/dubbing you have in mind. The EH55/EH75 were the last of the North American DVD/HDD Panasonics, they were more highly developed than previous models and the EH55 particularly has not presented very many HDD failure reports. If you're concerned about possible future failure, go online to eBay or surplus electronics sites and buy one or two spare HDDs similar to the one inside your EH55 (several threads here recommend specific makes/models to look for). These EIDE drives are considered "small" and "obsolete" for computer use nowadays, so you can often get them very inexpensively, maybe $40 or so for 160-200GB. Cheap "insurance" against a future need. Also, one of the best qualities of the EH55/75 are their unkillable burners: they just go on and on and on. These are perhaps the ONLY DVD/HDD recorders that are infinitely durable, a little cleaning now and then (follow directions posted by DigaDo) and this recorder should last you a l-o-n-g time. The worst that can go wrong with an EH55 is the power supply burning out, and even THAT is user fixable in the unlikely event you get that problem.

All that is a long-winded way of saying, just use the recorder to do what you want, and don't worry about hurting it. If you erase each "long" recording from the HDD right after burning each DVD, you'll dramatically reduce any wear and tear on the HDD (what eventually bogs down the HDD is too many edited recordings being left on it for too long, if you delete them after burning you eliminate the cause of most corruptions).

While I prefer my Pioneers for their much easier FR feature (Pios can just be manually set to any of thirty in-between speeds, individually for each timer recording), I do envy Panasonic owners for their incredibly durable burners. All other machines, Pioneers included, don't have user-maintainable burners: they simply croak after 2-3 years and you throw the machine away (replacement drives are prohibitive $). Take advantage, JMas, and enjoy your EH55 for the tough cookie it is.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I always use the FR (Flexible Recording) mode when recording my Korean Drama episodes on my E-500. Longer running episodes 55-70 minutes I put 3 episodes on each dvd-r. Episodes that are 26-35 minutes I put 6-7 episodes per dvd-r. These lengths are already with commercials edited out. I have a historical drama that airs Mon/Tue nights. Each time slot per episode is 75-80 minutes in length. After editing out commercials each episode running time it 68-69 minutes. So I set the FR mode for each episode at 3:30 mins. After each third episode I HS dub to a dvd-r. I am not sure if your talking about the same thing.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Jmas, heed what Citibear said it's good advise. While I understand your reluctance to record things you know won't be watched, recording to HDD is really quite reliable. As Citibear said in the unlikely event that your HDD starts having problems, with Panasonics it's quite easy to replace it. I personally haven't done this since my '05 EH-50 or '06 EH-55 haven't had HDD problems, or any problems for that matter. In fact I haven't had any hardware problem on the roughly dozen Panasonic DVDRs I own(unless you consider spindle cleaning as a hardware problem). My only problems were with the ill fated EZ-17/27 series where I had 6 failures that required exchanging under the 1 year Panasonic warranty. It's part of the reason I really don't care for the EZ series, and actually those failures were probably more software/firmware related than hardware. The hardware on Pannys have proven to be very reliable.

Since getting my Tivo (that records to the HDD 24x7 and you can't turn it off!) I've kind of changed my idea about wearing out the HDD on my DVDRs. Not that I would record with it all day recording things I know I'd never watch, but if there's even a chance I might, or in your case it's really the only way to maximize your DVD without re-encoding the video, I'd say go for it.

You may need to experiment with exactly what time to set your FR for, recording from the same source your programs will be coming from. Also note that because of VBR each program will vary slightly in size, so you won't likely be able to fill each DVD up 100% unless you want to start editing out other things other than the last unused parts. Personally I'd be satisfied with 95-99% disc usage and call it good, you don't want to make it 101% and have to spend lots of time trying to edit out actual program information or have to re-encode the video.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMas /forum/post/16936822

My reluctance to make timer recordings twice as long as needed is a concern about the extra wear on the recorder. I don't think any of us expects to see recorders of this quality available again in the U.S., and there is no guarantee that Panasonic's flat-rate repair will still be available when I need it fixed.

If it were only an occasional program, I wouldn't be so concerned, but I am looking at a series of about 250 75-minute shows. I don't want to use 250 DVDs, but I also don't want to make a double-length recording for each one.

As others have said, the use of your hard drive in this way is unlikely to cause any real wear on your recorder. The hard drives are nothing special, just computer hard drives. They are very inexpensive, and replacement in your machine is merely a matter of removing few screws and a cable or two. It has been done and documented here many times, by many people. I have been using Panasonic HDD DVD recorders since my E85, I don't know how long ago, and I've never had a HDD failure. I had an EH55 DVD drive go out, but $130 to Elk Grover and about two weeks later, it was back and works fine now. Replacement of the HDD seems to be quick and painless, so I would not worry. The real wear and tear is not HDD use, but burner use. Still you did not buy the machine NOT to use it. I, personally, would use playlists to edit the content, and then make an HS burn of the playlists. this results in minimum time on the DVD drive, and minimal wear of the machine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts