AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through several threads on splitting/amplifying coax, and I think I have a plan, but thought I'd run it by everyone here before trying to implement it.

I am getting a new compueter with dual DCTs and a new 60" Sony RPTV that require me to rethink an already complicated cable splitting problem.

I have a central hub into which my cable runs. From that hub, I need to run cable 7 different places; in one of those places, I need to further split the cable 4 ways (cable modem, 2 DCTs, TV).

My plan is to first split cable three ways. From the first split, I will immediately re-split another 3 ways and distribute to 3 TVs. From the second split, I will immediately re-split another 3 ways and distribute to 3 other TVs. From the third split, I will run to my office, where I will then split 4 ways to my cable modem, DCTs, and TV.

If I've figured out the math correctly, the splits to the office will result in losses of -5db (first 3-way split), -7.5db (second, 4-way split), plus 2-4db for the cable run (probably around 50 feet): overall loss would be around 14-17db. The loss to the other TVs will be somewhat less due to one less split, but will still be around 12-14db, depending on length of cable run.

Given this, can I simply add a 15db amp before the initial 3-way split and thereby get close to my initial signal strength to each of my components?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
In your situation - I'd get sufficient distribution amps to run to each location that needs a coax - that means 4 where you have the cable modem, 2 DCTs and the TV. I've got a similar situation , and I have this , www.smarthome.com/7717.html , with one output going to a Radio Shack 4 way distribution amp to get the extras. I had to put a 6dB attenuator before the RD amp, and the output power is turned down just enough to get a good signal to all locations. My setup would not work for a cable modem - that probably would need a splitter before the distribution system for all the receiving devices.

So, I'd recomend that cable => splitter -(one leg to cable modem, other to the 8-way distribution amp for all the TVs/ receiving devices.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I would get a low gain (8 or 12 output) drop amplifier, designed for two-way cable communication.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper /forum/post/12920423

In your situation - I'd get sufficient distribution amps to run to each location that needs a coax - that means 4 where you have the cable modem, 2 DCTs and the TV. I've got a similar situation , and I have this , www.smarthome.com/7717.html , with one output going to a Radio Shack 4 way distribution amp to get the extras. I had to put a 6dB attenuator before the RD amp, and the output power is turned down just enough to get a good signal to all locations. My setup would not work for a cable modem - that probably would need a splitter before the distribution system for all the receiving devices.

So, I'd recomend that cable => splitter -(one leg to cable modem, other to the 8-way distribution amp for all the TVs/ receiving devices.

The problem is that I have no easy way to split only once before the cable modem. At the very least, I would have a 2-way split at my main hub and another 2-way split in the office. I could then put a second, 8-way splitter/amp in the hub and a second, 3-way splitter/amp in the office, but I'm not sure the twice-split signal to the cable modem would be ideal if I go this route.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Graf /forum/post/12921507

I would get a low gain (8 or 12 output) drop amplifier, designed for two-way cable communication.

I like this idea, except for one thing. If I use an 8 output drop amp at the hub, I'd still need a 4-way split in the office, with one of the four going to the cable modem. I would think this would cause problems, unless there is a way to have the drop amp provide more gain to the output going to the office (the one that will be re-split) than it does to the other outlets. I have no idea whether this is even possible, but if such a product exists, it might work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone else with thoughts on the set-up I proposed? Will it accomplish what I think it will, which is to end up with all of my outputs having more or less the same signal strenth as the initial input?

I don't see how I can implement the two suggestions I have received without substantial re-wiring, which I'm not in a position to do. I need a solution that allows me to split at my hub, send one cable to my office, and then re-split four ways in the office, one of which will go to my cable modem.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I run my cable modem to one of the drop amps outputs and it works just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts