AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Room is 12'x16'

Lighting is usually just a small lamp during movies.

Display is used 90% for Blu-ray and HD-DVD, 5% SD-DVD, 5% OTA Antenna.

I cannot see SDE from beyond 7' on a 42" 720p

Budget is $2500

I already have a Panny pe7u but can sale it for the same price I bought it for. I love the Panny although I really wish it was 1080p and had better black levels, I came from a Sony 34" CRT.

Should I stick with what I have or what?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Your going to get hit with the usual suspects.

Pioneer 5080

Panny 50PZ750/700/77U

Sammy 5084

I am not going to comment on what I think is best, but it is a start. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Pioneer Kuro 5080, deeper blacks and higher contrast that gives you great pq and well under your budget from an AVS forum sponsor like Roman at Invision.

the other models from panny and samsung are ok too, but with the excellent PQ and now the prices you can find the 5080 at, it is an excellent choice.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been thinking Pioneer 5080 but the not being 1080p part is driving me insane, on the other hand if I go with the Panny 50PZ700U the black level is going to bother me.
If only the Pioneer 5010 was at the 5080 price point.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_leak /forum/post/12933442

I have been thinking Pioneer 5080 but the not being 1080p part is driving me insane, on the other hand if I go with the Panny 50PZ700U the black level is going to bother me.
If only the Pioneer 5010 was at the 5080 price point.

Home theather magazine just did a faceoff/comparision with 6 various tech 1080p models lcd/dlp/lcos/led dlp and another plasma which was the th50pz750u model panny and the 768p Pioneer Kuro 5080. The 5080 beat them all out handily and that was at the $3500 price before the $1000 price drop in Dec.

if your informed and your eyes show you the better PQ that the deeper blacks, higher contrast, color accuracy give you and they are all more important than resolution then your not insane.

or if you don't want the PQ advantages of the Pioneer Kuros just buy the panny or samsung, they are good displays and your just gonna be sitting there watching one set you buy so you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to Best Buy Saturday and did some comparisons between the 1080p Panny and the Pioneer 5080...

I am the new proud owner of a Pioneer 5080 and I think I'm in love.

First thing I did was to enter in D-Nice's 5080 Reference Settings. I love how you can compare with the blue controller button. Next I set the PS3 to 1080p24, fired up 300, and shut off all lights.
OMG, the picture looked as if it were floating in the room. I love how the black space at the top and bottom fades away into the dark, this is how I remember it on my old Sony CRT.
The only thing that would be better is when the screen is completely black it would look like it was in the off state. Next up Planet Earth, Blu-ray.

Comparisons to my old Panny pe7u:

Black Level: No contest the Kuro wins hands down.

Brightness: They both get the job done.

White: Using D-Nice's settings the white looks perfectly white to me.

Crush: I have NO black or white crush, it passes all the test patterns with flying colors.

IR: I have seen none on the Kuro and I watched 300 first. On the Panny I still get IR after playing a 2:35.1 film, this is another thing I love about the kuro. I might even try playing a game.

Buzz: My Panny has a buzz but only from the back of the unit, I can hear the Kuro in a silent room from about 5 feet in front of the unit but only barely and only when turning my head a certain way. I don't see this being a problem.

Bezel/Stand: I had some left over residue around the Kuro bezel but it came right off with the cloth that came in the box. I love the look of the Kuro without the speak bar in place. It's amazing how small the 42" Panny looks now compared with a 50" Plasma. I used to think the Panny was huge coming from a 34" CRT.

Just thought I would tell my experience because I was worried about the Kuro crushing whites, black blobs, low brightness, cloudy bezel, buzz, 1080p vs 720p etc. before buying and none of these turned out to be a problem.

Well I'm off to enjoy my new toy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts