AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need suggestions on a portable cinema system.

I travel to different locations and setup rooms for 200-300 people to watch DVD movies on for the weekend.

I would like to purchase a new professional system (currently just using a simple home theater Yamaha system) to output sound.

Guidelines:

1) PORTABILITY: is a MUST; the smaller the better but with enough power for 300 people.

2) BUDGET: would like to keep cost under $2,000.

3) SURROUND SOUND: This isn't critical to start with but would like the mixer/receiver to be able to handle additional center/back speakers if in the future I decide to implement those.

So please give me your suggestions on lightweight/portalble receiver/speaker setups for handling DVD and BluRay movie sound.

·
Registered
273 Posts
1) Watching DVD movies with 300 friends is illegal unless you have written permission from the copyright holder, or own the content yourself. If one of those 300 people gets a wild hair up their butt and records/reports the incident to the FBI, the penalty is steep. Be careful! There have been numerous church groups fined tens of thousands of dollars and up for hosting "movie nights".

2) If portability and durability are important to you, consider getting a rolling rack mount with three 2-channel stereo pro sound amplifiers. Use 1 channel each for the 5.1 speakers. A passive subwoofer and 5 speaker-stand mounted PA speakers will do the job just fine for full surround sound. Any off the shelf DVD player with analog outputs can decode the audio and output to the amplifiers. No receiver/processor is necessary. Volume level control is handled on the individual amps.

3) Projector/screen to be handled separately, of course.

Greg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts