-theta laser discr-

-motorized lift

-VCR

-DirectTV

-Blulu ray Denon

-crestron

-key digital image switcher

-Mark Levinson, etc.

The voltage surges to 134 volts on a frequent basis.

I wanted to buy the Accuphase PS-1210 or PS-510 voltage regulators, but they are built such that they shut off after a 10% surge over 117volts, or about 129 volts, which would constantly power off the equipment.

Any recommendations on a high quality unit that would handle surges to 134 voilts??

·
Registered
22,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/15549014

Ask LGJ. He knows [email protected]@@

Who is LGJ. Just got back from Maui. Can't think straight here in Arizona.

I meant LBJ. No. Not Obama. Not Bush. Not Nixon.

I meant "LJG"!!!. YEA!

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
LJD= Labatts Genuine Draft. After a few of those, you too can know everything.

·
Banned
2,570 Posts
I agree with kal Kal Rubinson, you can also look at many other type of commercial/pro power products from tripp lite and the likes. Do not look for audiophile grade products and stay away from richard gray.

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by intexltd /forum/post/15547853

I wanted to buy the Accuphase PS-1210 or PS-510 voltage regulators, but they are built such that they shut off after a 10% surge over 117volts, or about 129 volts, which would constantly power off the equipment.

Any recommendations on a high quality unit that would handle surges to 134 voilts??

The PS Audio Premier shuts off at 140 volts on models with the most current upgrades. I have the same problem in my location. My voltage would surge to about 130 volts at certain times of day shutting off everything. PS Audio sent me a current Premier and it stopped doing that. Now on those occasions when the voltage gets around 130, I can keep on using my theater. The Premier keeps the voltage at 120 so none of my equipment "sees" the high voltage. However, I have found that I must use a small ultra quite PC fan on the Premier to keep the internal fans from turning on in this situation. I don't know how the Premier reduces voltage but it would appear that the process increases the temperature of the unit. At any rate, with the small fan, everything works perfectly without the much louder and very audible internal fan being turned on.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The spec sheet and user manual of the PS-510 doesn't claim to regulate beyond 120V, +/- 10% which is standard power quality deviation. Its beautiful looking.

You can get high quality regulation up to 150V with a APC LE 1200 for $45. What makes regulators more expensive isn't the regulation, a technology that is 30 years old, but the watts needed per regulator, so it has to be bigger and heftier.

Quote:

I have a system in a remote mountain location that includes:

-faroudja dvd

-theta laser discr-

-motorized lift

-VCR

-DirectTV

-Blulu ray Denon

-crestron

-key digital image switcher

-Mark Levinson, etc.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have used BPT for several years to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:

I have a system in a remote mountain location

WOW, Osama Bin Laden gets into HT.

·
Registered
592 Posts
... The voltage surges to 134 volts on a frequent basis...

Too bad that you can't "bottle" some of that surge energy for those big bass peaks! What is going on with the power up in your rarifed altitude?

Anyway, to your question. CVTs (Constant Voltage Transformers) will handle surges like these without shutting down. They are actually the most "bullet proof" type of surge protection that you can employ. Sorenson and other vendors make these in a wide variety of sizes and power ratings. Beware that they can get big and heavy and also can emit audible hum, so careful placement is often indicated. I would recommend reading the sorenson white papers on the subject.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Comedown to Highend power. i suggest these handful of company.

"Audience, Shunyata, Furman, Richard Gray and Balanced Power"

Hope this help.

ismewor

·
Banned
2,570 Posts

Quote:
Comedown to Highend power. i suggest these handful of company.

"Audience, Shunyata, Furman, Richard Gray and Balanced Power"

Be careful most of those companies products are not certified and not tested.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I will try one of the following:

1. Tripplite Model #: HTRL15UPS

2. APC S-15

Does anyone have any recommendations between these two? I am most concerned about audible noise emited from these, or are they silent?

Thanks.

For some reason money spent in this category has not equaled quality received for me. We have bought Furman in the past, as well as others $5K+ and they did not get the job done.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
To me, part of the issue is the companies that market to high end audio guys vs companies that sell to industrial applications such as hospitals. As stated above, companies like Richard Gray are not UL or ULC approved, and technically, if their equipment causes a house fire (extreme example I know), your insurance company can bail on any payout since they have no UL approval.

Similarly, I see too many ads hyping up what their product does vs showing actual performance printouts and graphs.

Furman is sort of inbetween, they started out as a Pro PA company supplier, making surge protectors for effects racks, and moved into pro audio stuff. I have worked on some of their pieces, and it was fairly well built.

I'd look towards Tripplite, that has always been more of an industrial company rather than glossy finish boxes with blue LEDs on it.

I'm glad no one mentioned Monster. I've taken apart and repaired a few of their pieces in the last 2 years, and to me they are a joke. BB sure sells a few of them though, which in itself speaks volumes as to the customer they are marketing to.

·
Registered
30,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by intexltd /forum/post/15640107

I think I will try one of the following:

1. Tripplite Model #: HTRL15UPS

2. APC S-15

Does anyone have any recommendations between these two? I am most concerned about audible noise emited from these, or are they silent?

Thanks.

For some reason money spent in this category has not equaled quality received for me. We have bought Furman in the past, as well as others $5K+ and they did not get the job done.

I have an s-15 in each of my houses. In one, it is in a rack about 15 feet away. In the other, it is in a rack about 5-6 feet from me. Neither is audible except when a relay clicks during an operation.

·
Registered
909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme /forum/post/15641024

To me, part of the issue is the companies that market to high end audio guys vs companies that sell to industrial applications such as hospitals. As stated above, companies like Richard Gray are not UL or ULC approved, and technically, if their equipment causes a house fire (extreme example I know), your insurance company can bail on any payout since they have no UL approval.

Similarly, I see too many ads hyping up what their product does vs showing actual performance printouts and graphs.

Furman is sort of inbetween, they started out as a Pro PA company supplier, making surge protectors for effects racks, and moved into pro audio stuff. I have worked on some of their pieces, and it was fairly well built.

I'd look towards Tripplite, that has always been more of an industrial company rather than glossy finish boxes with blue LEDs on it.

I'm glad no one mentioned Monster. I've taken apart and repaired a few of their pieces in the last 2 years, and to me they are a joke. BB sure sells a few of them though, which in itself speaks volumes as to the customer they are marketing to.

Curt, I've never seen a Policy Clause which allows an Insurance Co. to deny a claim because of the use of a non UL device in a home. Such a clause may exist, but I doubt it. I think the State Insurance Commissioner would come down pretty heavy on any company which tried to deny a claim on a non-existent exclusion. Regards, Norm

1 - 20 of 204 Posts