AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a KDF-60XBR950 delivered to my house on Saturday and was curious on how to handle OTA HD signals. I live in Rockville, MD approximately 15 miles from the towers in DC.

I have a regular UHF/VHF Yagi-type antenna in the attic with a run of approximately 30 ft to the basement where I current have a small TV hooked up to test for signal strength.

On most of the locals the perfect is good except for 1 (Ch 9 CBS affiliate) I notice ghosting. What to do?

Change to a bowtie? Add an amp and if so, which one?

I'm trying to do anything but add another antenna to the roof of two E* dishes.

Thanks for your advice.

Dom

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dominus: I live in Springfield and have had a small Channelmaster VHF/UHF antenna in my attic for over 20 years. 2 years ago when I got my HD setup I connected it to my new STB and got all the DC stations without a problem. I even got 13 from Balto sometimes. I would expect that you'll get all the DC stations with your attic attenna with no problem at all, and without any preamp. John

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bob and John for the info. I lock on the analog but am not satisfied at all with the quality of the reception. On each one of the 4, 5, 7 and 9 local channels on my 12" "test set" they all have their "anomalies" whether ghosting, noise, etc.

If I throw this garbage up on a 60" screen the wife would have me throw the TV or even me out. I guess HD will cure it. Either you get it or you don't. Cross my fingers.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Dominus, I live in Brookeville which is north of Olney. I got a Samsung HD receiver on saturday and have been playing with a few antennas. I'm using small indoor antennas and I get NBC, FOX, ABC and CBS with no problem. I borrowed a zenith silver sensor today and it pull in all those stations as well. I have a radio shack "bow-tie" antenna coming that should improve some of the other stations (PBS, WB, etc). Really all I care about right now is CBS for the Super Bowl.

You're closer than I am so you shouldn't have any issues with your current antenna.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure you're right but I want the strongest signal I could possibly get and being the anal type of guy I am, I'll worry about it.

Congrats on your HD receiver. I'm on a long waiting list for the DISH 921. Maybe they will call me and install on Saturday! Wishful thinking.

I'll go up to the attic one last time with my compass on Saturday just to get my bearings straight via antennaweb.org.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.