AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my present audio processsor and need some advice on where to sell.

I place an audio processor classified ad here at AV Science at :

http://www.avsforum.com/classifieds/...uery=retrieval

also placed it on auction at Yahoo at:

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....ction/56501077

Have yet to get any inquiries or email.

My used price may bit higher than some others for the same unit...that's because I treated this unit like my baby...will sell with all original boxing and shipping materials...as well as manuals. Will come to the buyer as it did me as in brand new product condition.

Would love some help or advice in selling this unit.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
The definitive site to sell something is at Audiogon.com or possibly EBAY. You need the sites with very high traffic for buying and selling product.

There are other sites to sell stuff such as Audioreview.com and Audioweb.com and Globalaudiomart.com ... but Audiogon.com is King. You will usually find that when people sell stuff, they will post at many of the sites, but ALWAYS at Audiogon.com

Also, holding out for more money because you babied it is not good enough. Every seller will tell you they babied their gear. It is expected that you will have the orginal box & manuals. Lack of official packaging and physical scuffs an scratches will bring the product $down. It can be an ugly business being the seller (lowball offers) ... much easier being the buyer :)

- Andy

·
Registered
420 Posts
dont wish to get down to somantics here. But the auction states 'AS IS' .

personally, I dont like that conatation!

ben

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I list "AS IS" to protect myself from looky-loos and those people who change thier mind and want to reverse the transaction for no good reason that applies to the unit itself...I have had other items returned for whimsy reasons and have pieces (not audio equipment, but some collectibles) returned in not the same condition I sent them...and I have to risk the unit shipping back and forth again.

I say it because the sale is final and I have a track record at Yahoo auctions for selling "AS IS" units (i.e. Computer Systems, 5.1 Speaker Systems, Laser Disc players, AV Receivers, etc) and getting the reaction that the buyer thought they were getting a brand new unit.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I think of "AS IS" when buying a car and also deam that word to have negative implications.

I guess always clearly state the condition of the gear its age, physical condition and markings, and packaging.

As a seller, you are entitled to payment-in-full before shipping an item, or the buyer can pay for an Escrow service.

If the buyer changes their mind after receiving the item, you have at least documented the items condition & terms in your ad. I would "almost never" take an item back when paid for and delivered as advertised. If the seller makes a purchasing mistake for whatever reason, then it is their problem, not yours.

I work hard myself at slowly developing positive feedback ratings at Audiogon and EBAY. When dealing with strangers, this kind of trust is valuable.

- Andy

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
What !!! No sales to Canada ! How could you :)

FYI: Shipping to Canada is no big deal.

Just have the Canadian buyer send you a US Money Order, or pay via PayPal etc.

On the UPS/Fed-Ex shipping waybill, you just put in the Canadian address instead of a US address, and the $value of the item. THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE TO DO. Wave good-bye to the package.

Once it package hits the border, UPS will call the BUYER and tell them they need to pay these taxes and import charges. Buyer pays UPS via credit card or at the door, and that's it.

For small items, I like to use Express Mail, which is fast, cheap, and tracked.

- Andy

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry Andy....

But I have had three bad transactions to Canada...one debacle that included the sale of an iMac...something shadey happened over the border (not to point any fingers but the seller did something they shouldn't have doneand did not tell me the truth) and I was burned big-time!

Three time is the charm!

Sorry

·
Registered
366 Posts
Damn Canadians! umm kidding...sorry

I also buy alot of stuff on Ebay. I'll go along with others in stating that I dont buy from auctions that contain "as is". That term I associate with something either purchased at wholesale or something that is deeply discounted due to a defect or missing parts. You said yourself that you have had experiences with people thinking something is new...in box etc.... It can work the other way....someone can have an auction and use "in great shape" or "beautiful condition" and forget the part about a button or something not working. . If I am bidding on an auction...I will lean towards an auction that the seller states they will use escrow. I have never used it, but take it as an indicator that the person is legit, not implying that you aren't. I also think that a contributing factor to the processor not selling is that sunfire just came out with the grand II, and there seems to be a bunch of B stock units floating around (that can be had cheap). Is there a way to tell the difference between A and B with the sunfire stuff? Some companies add to the serial. Just wondering. Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ross,

As Is...is more of a legal term to protect myself from those who just change their mind for no good reason...or have buyers remorse due to the cost.....and bare me the burden of having the equipment taking another shipping tour at my expense.

Of course, if the unit is not in the condition, I claim it to be...than I would have gotten the favorable reviews on Yahoo auctions for selling items like Computers, Electronics, and complete personal collectible sets...some items sold for over $2K.

As far as B goods go...I have always assumed they were demo or opened box units...and are not in the same condition as my unit. I have test demoed the SunFire TG II and find that there is very little difference in sound quality that I can hear...and it has one different input conection.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have sold several items on ebay and had very good luck. In my experience, you should expect to get somewhere between the lowest price and the highest price you have seen the same item sell for. You will NEVER get more than the highest price you have seen unless you can guarantee that it is brand new and never used. They are selling B-stocks which really are not much different than yours for just over $1k (and some have a warrantee). Good luck, but I think you will have a hard time selling that pre-amp for that much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.